Memo To: Michael Lynton And Amy Pascal
From: Peter Bart
Running a major studio has always been a balancing act, but I confess that I’m getting dizzy tracking your words and actions at Sony Pictures.
You inform investors that you will reduce the film slate, channeling more resources into television, and cut costs by more than $250 million, only to disclose new deals with top production executives that would suggest a busier feature release schedule.
In a recent interview in the Wall Street Journal, Michael, you insist that Sony Pictures is not “in need of a turnaround,” but you’ve just fired your heads of marketing and public relations, appointed a new PR specialist in crisis management and disclosed plans for “a quick process” of staff layoffs.
While talking enthusiastically about a slate of future “Spider-Man” and other film franchises, you then emphasize that “this is not a business purely built on franchises, »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Box Office Friday: ‘Maze Runner’ Outpaces Liam’s Leisurely ‘Walk'; ‘This is Where I Leave You’ Not Going Anywhere (From Deadline New York. 19 September 2014, 11:13 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: ‘Maze Runner’ Flying By Liam Neeson for $24 Million Opening (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2014, 5:23 PM, PDT)
- Reese Witherspoon’s The Good Lie Gets a Featurette on the True Story Behind the Film (From Collider.com. 19 September 2014, 3:51 PM, PDT)
The Social Network (2010)
- David Fincher talks Gone Girl, film career (From ScreenDaily. 20 September 2014, 7:18 AM, PDT)
- New Gone Girl TV Spot Tortures Ben Affleck’s Nick Dunne (From Collider.com. 19 September 2014, 1:26 PM, PDT)
- Syfy’s ‘Childhood’s End’ to Shoot in Australia (From Variety - TV News. 19 September 2014, 12:35 AM, PDT)
- Tiff 2014: ‘Foxcatcher’ a dark spin on the American dream laced with engrossing uses of sound and performance (From SoundOnSight. 16 September 2014, 2:42 PM, PDT)
- Nyff ’14: Kyle’s 5 Most Anticipated Films (From SoundOnSight. 14 September 2014, 4:02 PM, PDT)
- Toronto International Film Festival Standout Films, Performances (From Us Weekly. 14 September 2014, 2:16 PM, PDT)