Rome – Silvio Berlusconi’s Mediaset is mulling merging its pay-tv operations in its core Italian and Spanish markets, the top Italian commercial broadcaster announced on Wednesday.
In a statement Mediaset, which is run by Piersilvio Berlusconi (pictured) said the plan would entail creating a new company which would hold 100 percent of its Italian pay-tv business, Mediaset Premium, and the 22 percent stake it holds in Spain’s Digital Plus. It may also seek an industrial and financial partnership.
“The evaluation will examine international development potential, possible synergies, the expansion of over-the-top services, as well as the eventual involvement of industrial and/or financial partners in the newco,” the statement said.
News of the possible merger, which could mark the start of a new pan-European pay-tv powerhouse, comes just as Berlusconi senior, a three-time Italo prime minister, announced he will not run at Italy’s next elections after being recently ousted from »
- Nick Vivarelli
Similar News ItemsRupert Murdoch
- British Notables in Entertainment React to Brexit Vote: ‘Goodbye, U.K.’ (From Variety - TV News. 24 June 2016, 3:45 AM, PDT)
- The 10 Most Powerful People in Hollywood (From newser. 23 June 2016, 9:23 AM, PDT)
- Sky, Bavaria Greenlight $28-Million TV Version of U-Boat Drama ‘Das Boot’ (From Variety - TV News. 23 June 2016, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Silvio Berlusconi in Talks to Sell his A.C. Milan Soccer Club to Chinese Investors (From Variety - TV News. 10 May 2016, 5:07 AM, PDT)
- France’s Vivendi, Italy’s Mediaset Join Forces to Take on Sky, Netflix in Europe (From Variety - TV News. 5 May 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Franco-Tunisian Mogul Tarak Ben Ammar on why Vivendi/Mediaset Could Spawn a U.S.-Style Studio (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 22 April 2016, 10:57 AM, PDT)
- Italy’s Indiana and Murdoch-owned Pay-tv Sky Team up on Content Factory (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 23 June 2016, 7:59 AM, PDT)
- Italy’s Indiana and Murdoch-owned Pay-tv Sky Team up on Content Factory (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 23 June 2016, 7:59 AM, PDT)
- Second Season of Mob Series ‘Gomorrah’ Scores Gangbuster Ratings on Sky in Italy (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 22 June 2016, 3:33 AM, PDT)