Rome – Silvio Berlusconi’s Mediaset is mulling merging its pay-tv operations in its core Italian and Spanish markets, the top Italian commercial broadcaster announced on Wednesday.
In a statement Mediaset, which is run by Piersilvio Berlusconi (pictured) said the plan would entail creating a new company which would hold 100 percent of its Italian pay-tv business, Mediaset Premium, and the 22 percent stake it holds in Spain’s Digital Plus. It may also seek an industrial and financial partnership.
“The evaluation will examine international development potential, possible synergies, the expansion of over-the-top services, as well as the eventual involvement of industrial and/or financial partners in the newco,” the statement said.
News of the possible merger, which could mark the start of a new pan-European pay-tv powerhouse, comes just as Berlusconi senior, a three-time Italo prime minister, announced he will not run at Italy’s next elections after being recently ousted from »
- Nick Vivarelli
Similar News ItemsRupert Murdoch
- ‘The Interview’ Intervention: Pulling Film Sends Wrong Message (Guest Blog) (From The Wrap. 19 December 2014, 3:09 PM, PST)
- 'Interstellar,' 'Boyhood' Producers on Getting Fired, Toughest Decisions and How to Give Rupert Murdoch Bad News (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 December 2014, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Michael Wolff: 8 Hollywood Predictions for 2015 (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 December 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Report: Al Jazeera Buys Top Turkish Pay-tv Operator Digiturk (From Variety - TV News. 22 December 2014, 9:45 AM, PST)
- John Oliver's best bits on Last Week Tonight (From The Guardian - TV News. 12 November 2014, 5:33 AM, PST)
- Mediaset Spain Earnings Rise Amid TV Ad Rebound (From The Hollywood Reporter. 29 October 2014, 10:52 AM, PDT)
- Rome’s Cinecitta Studios Lures ‘Ben Hur’ Redo And Other Hollywood Pics (From Variety - Film News. 24 November 2014, 6:42 AM, PST)
- James Murdoch Re-elected as Director of European Pay TV Giant Sky (From Variety - TV News. 21 November 2014, 8:41 AM, PST)
- Investors Group Plots to Remove James Murdoch from Sky Board (From Variety - TV News. 20 November 2014, 5:47 AM, PST)