Two of Britain's leading film composers warn that the quality of music for film and TV is suffering because synthesised sounds are increasingly replacing real instruments in an effort to cut costs.
Carl Davis, whose scores include that for the World at War documentary series, said a synthesised soundtrack lacked "the heart" of symphonic or instrumental music.
Christopher Gunning, who wrote the Bafta-winning score for La Vie en Rose, about Edith Piaf, was even more critical: "A lot of television music has got to the stage where I have to turn it off. There's an enormous amount of programmes where I find the programme content really quite interesting, but can't watch because I find the music so blooming irritating. Part of that is, I am afraid, the poor quality of the musical composition. »
- Dalya Alberge
Similar News ItemsEd Harris (I)
- Darren Aronofsky could direct A.I. courtroom drama (From Flickeringmyth. 20 July 2017, 12:40 AM, PDT)
- Ten panels to look out for at Comic-Con 2017 (From ScreenDaily. 18 July 2017, 3:22 PM, PDT)
- Paramount Buys Joe Epstein Script For Darren Aronofsky (From Deadline. 17 July 2017, 3:37 PM, PDT)
John Williams (I)
- E.T. The Extra-terrestrial 35th Anniversary Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray Set Arriving This September (From DailyDead. 17 July 2017, 8:24 AM, PDT)
- ‘E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial’ 35th Anniversary Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray Unveiled (From TheHDRoom. 14 July 2017, 4:12 PM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: This full-length remake of Revenge Of The Sith is charmingly shitty (From The AV Club. 10 July 2017, 9:44 AM, PDT)
- Steven Spielberg Directed ‘Poltergeist,’ Says the Film’s Assistant Cameraman (From Indiewire. 16 July 2017, 10:33 AM, PDT)
- Interview, Audio: David Lowery, Writer & Director of ‘A Ghost Story’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 13 July 2017, 10:18 AM, PDT)
- HBO Are Making A New Feature Length Steven Spielberg Documentary (From The Hollywood News. 12 July 2017, 12:18 AM, PDT)