Hong Kong – “Omar,” Hany Abu-Asad’s powerful drama about violence, was named as the best feature film at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards.
The film, about a young baker whose loyalty to family and country are complicated by his love for a student, debuted in Un Certain Regard at Cannes and is Palestine’s official entry for the foreign-language Academy Award.
‘Omar” (pictured) was the Apsa front-runner with three nominations, but at the ceremony in Brisbane City hall, the best film prize was its only award. “The Lunchbox,” earned its first-time Indian director Ritesh Batra the prize for best screenplay. The film was also one of two that were awarded a Grand Jury Prize. Mostofa Farooki’s “Television” from Bangladesh also won a Grand Jury Prize.
The jury was headed by Indian screenwriter and director Shyam Benegal. He said he was “most impressed with the quality of films that have »
- Patrick Frater
Similar News ItemsThe Act of Killing (2012)
- Exclusive: 'The Look of Silence' Gets a Visually Haunting Mondo Poster (From Indiewire. 27 July 2015, 7:26 AM, PDT)
- ‘Look of Silence’ Director Talks of Genocide and Guilt: ‘Impunity Is the Story of Our Times’ (From The Wrap. 24 July 2015, 10:53 AM, PDT)
- Podcast: Why We're Excited to See 'The Revenant' (From Indiewire. 24 July 2015, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Watch the trailer For John Woo’s Epic ‘The Crossing 2′ (From SoundOnSight. 6 July 2015, 3:02 PM, PDT)
- Watch: Trailer For John Woo's Epic 'The Crossing 2' Starring Zhang Ziyi (From The Playlist. 6 July 2015, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- Watch: Full Trailer for John Woo's New Two-Part Epic 'The Crossing' (From FirstShowing.net. 6 July 2015, 12:12 PM, PDT)
Joshua Oppenheimer (II)
- Daily | Frieze, Garrel, Oppenheimer (t) (From Fandor: Keyframe (t). 30 July 2015, 8:49 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Frieze, Garrel, Oppenheimer (From Keyframe. 30 July 2015, 8:49 AM, PDT)
- Attention, Documentary Filmmakers: 6 Lessons from the Making of 'Shoah.' (From Indiewire. 27 July 2015, 7:30 AM, PDT)