Hong Kong – “Omar,” Hany Abu-Asad’s powerful drama about violence, was named as the best feature film at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards.
The film, about a young baker whose loyalty to family and country are complicated by his love for a student, debuted in Un Certain Regard at Cannes and is Palestine’s official entry for the foreign-language Academy Award.
‘Omar” (pictured) was the Apsa front-runner with three nominations, but at the ceremony in Brisbane City hall, the best film prize was its only award. “The Lunchbox,” earned its first-time Indian director Ritesh Batra the prize for best screenplay. The film was also one of two that were awarded a Grand Jury Prize. Mostofa Farooki’s “Television” from Bangladesh also won a Grand Jury Prize.
The jury was headed by Indian screenwriter and director Shyam Benegal. He said he was “most impressed with the quality of films that have »
- Patrick Frater
Similar News ItemsThe Act of Killing (2012)
- Help crowdfund documentary film festival Ambulante (From SoundOnSight. 10 July 2014, 2:18 PM, PDT)
- Drafthouse Picks Up Ukrainian Cannes Favourite ‘The Tribe’: Watch The Trailer (From The Hollywood News. 5 July 2014, 2:15 AM, PDT)
- Must-Watch Movies and TV on Netflix right now (From Hitfix. 28 June 2014, 11:50 AM, PDT)
- Here's What Happens When Katniss and Hermione Vie For Your Attention (From Popsugar. 8 July 2014, 9:40 AM, PDT)
- South Korean Star Jang Dong-gun Talks Going Hollywood, Shooting Guns (Q&A) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 13 June 2014, 2:58 AM, PDT)
- Our Top 10 Favorite Hookers with Hearts of Gold from the Movies (From ReelzChannel. 5 June 2014, 7:43 AM, PDT)
The Grandmaster (2013)
- 5 unreleased movies we're dying to see: Enemy, Snowpiercer, Spectacular Now (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 5 July 2014, 1:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘Transformers 4’ vs. ‘Snowpiercer’: What Michael Bay and Bong Joon-ho Have in Common (From Variety - Film News. 1 July 2014, 6:04 PM, PDT)
- The Academy Invites 271 New Members for 2014 (From Rope Of Silicon. 26 June 2014, 12:44 PM, PDT)