Odd List Ryan Lambie Simon Brew 12 Dec 2013 - 05:49
The year of Baggins, Potter and Spider-Man also had a wealth of lesser-known movies. Here’s our pick of 2002's underappreciated films...
At the top of the box office tree, 2002 was dominated by fantasy and special effects. Peter Jackson's The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers made almost a billion dollars all by itself, with Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets taking second place and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man not too far behind.
In many ways, 2002 set the tempo for the Hollywood blockbuster landscape, which has changed relatively little in the decade since. A quick look at 2013‘s top 10, for example, reveals a markedly similar mix of superhero movies, with Iron Man 3 still ruling the roost at the time of writing, followed by effects-heavy action flicks and family-friendly animated features.
As usual in these lists, we're looking »
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- "Spotlight" Director Tom McCarthy to Receive Sonny Bono Visionary Award at 27th Annual Psiff Awards Gala (From Manny the Movie Guy. 24 November 2015, 10:08 AM, PST)
- Trailer For Netflix’s A Very Murray Christmas (From TheMovieBit. 24 November 2015, 2:29 AM, PST)
- On this day in history: ‘Doctor Who’ premiered on BBC (From Hitfix. 23 November 2015, 9:00 AM, PST)
- 'Room', 'The Big Short' to bookend Dubai fest (From ScreenDaily. 25 November 2015, 5:23 AM, PST)
- Terrence Malick’s Knight Of Cups Official Trailer (From Filmofilia. 25 November 2015, 12:26 AM, PST)
- Second trailer for Terrence Malick’s Knight of Cups (From Flickeringmyth. 24 November 2015, 3:17 PM, PST)
- Matt Damon’s Agent Is On The Hunt In Latest Batch Of Set Photos For Bourne 5 (From We Got This Covered. 25 November 2015, 8:23 AM, PST)
- Examining Hollywood Remakes: True Grit (From Cinelinx. 23 November 2015, 2:40 PM, PST)
- Matt Damon and Luciana Barroso Have the Look of Love in Berlin (From Popsugar. 23 November 2015, 11:10 AM, PST)