The frame’s top contenders are a familiar pair as they dominated the box office last weekend with a wide margin of victory. The only difference this time is it appears Disney’s “Frozen” will slip past “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” for first by Sunday with about $28 million.
Friday, however, Lionsgate’s “Catching Fire” still held the lead. It took $7.7 million to “Frozen’s” $6.8 million. And Lionsgate projects the “Hunger Games” sequel to take in about $27.5 million in three days, within licking distance of “Frozen,” though rival studio estimates have its haul closer to about $25 million.
Either result would be a strong third weekend performance for the actioner, which will have a domestic cume upwards of $330 million by Monday.
- Michael Sullivan
Similar News ItemsChristian Bale
- Box Office: 'Peabody and Sherman' pull ahead of '300' while 'Need for Speed' stalls (From Hitfix. 16 March 2014, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Weekend Box Office: 'Mr. Peabody & Sherman' Hits No. 1 in Second Week (From Moviefone. 16 March 2014, 5:40 AM, PDT)
- Ireland's Six Nations win a fitting climax to epic day of telly watching | Emma John (From The Guardian - TV News. 15 March 2014, 5:11 PM, PDT)
- Silver screen to small screen: why film directors are taking over TV (From The Guardian - Film News. 15 March 2014, 5:10 PM, PDT)
- Silver screen to small screen: why film directors are taking over TV (From The Guardian - TV News. 15 March 2014, 5:10 PM, PDT)
- Sing along to The Handsome Family’s 'True Detective' theme with new lyric video (From Hitfix. 15 March 2014, 11:41 AM, PDT)
- The Week in Spandex - Captain America vs. Batman vs. Superman, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Venom, Black Widow, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Flash, Constantine, Gotham and more (From Flickeringmyth. 16 March 2014, 3:25 PM, PDT)
- 'Divergent' actress Maggie Q on her favorite movies of 2013 (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 15 March 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Tyler Perrython: 15 Tyler Perry Productions Watched, Graded + Ranked (From TheFabLife - Movies. 14 March 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)