Despite the fact that J.J. Abrams has vacated the director's chair in favour of Star Wars: Episode VII, Paramount Pictures is wasting little time in moving Star Trek 3 up to full impulse power, with The Hollywood Reporter revealing that screenwriters J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will join Robert Orci in penning the script for the third instalment of the rebooted movie series.
Payne and McKay already have a working relationship with Abrams (who will remain involved in a producing capacity), having adapted the graphic novel Boilerplate for Bad Robot, while Orci has co-written both Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness with regular writing partner Alex Kurtzman.
At present, Paramount is yet to confirm a replacement for Abrams on Star Trek 3, and while it has been reported that Attack the Block helmer Joe Cornish was the studio's favourite to take on the task (as well as Abrams' pick »
- Gary Collinson
Similar News ItemsJ.J. Abrams
- 8 First Time Directors Who Got Hired For Major Films (From FilmSchoolRejects. 6 October 2015, 7:08 AM, PDT)
- This 'Star Wars 7' Character Is Named After the Beastie Boys (From MovieWeb. 5 October 2015, 4:51 PM, PDT)
- Retro Slave: Star Wars: The Force Awakens VHS Cover (From QuietEarth. 5 October 2015, 10:02 AM, PDT)
Paramount Pictures [us]
- Terminator franchise is "re-adjusting", says producer (From Den of Geek. 6 October 2015, 6:03 PM, PDT)
- Jc Chandor Confirmed To Helm Crime Pic Triple Frontier (From We Got This Covered. 6 October 2015, 6:43 AM, PDT)
- Watch The New Video For Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 5 October 2015, 11:29 AM, PDT)
Star Trek (2009)
- Sequel Bits: ‘Spectre’, ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay’, ‘Star Trek’, ‘xXx 3′, ‘Bad Boys 3′ (From Slash Film. 6 October 2015, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- 8 Movies That Make Space Seem Absolutely Terrifying (From We Got This Covered. 6 October 2015, 10:23 AM, PDT)
- A character's name in Star Wars: The Force Awakens was inspired by the Beastie Boys (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 6 October 2015, 5:12 AM, PDT)