Despite the fact that J.J. Abrams has vacated the director's chair in favour of Star Wars: Episode VII, Paramount Pictures is wasting little time in moving Star Trek 3 up to full impulse power, with The Hollywood Reporter revealing that screenwriters J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will join Robert Orci in penning the script for the third instalment of the rebooted movie series.
Payne and McKay already have a working relationship with Abrams (who will remain involved in a producing capacity), having adapted the graphic novel Boilerplate for Bad Robot, while Orci has co-written both Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness with regular writing partner Alex Kurtzman.
At present, Paramount is yet to confirm a replacement for Abrams on Star Trek 3, and while it has been reported that Attack the Block helmer Joe Cornish was the studio's favourite to take on the task (as well as Abrams' pick »
- Gary Collinson
Similar News ItemsJ.J. Abrams
- Newswire: Harrison Ford could have been killed on the Star Wars: The Force Awakens set (From The AV Club. 26 July 2016, 9:27 AM, PDT)
- Ratings: Democratic Convention Opens on Par With Rnc Night 1 (From TVLine.com. 26 July 2016, 8:24 AM, PDT)
- Interview: Actor Paul Dooley on Getting to Portray Dad (From HollywoodChicago.com. 26 July 2016, 7:37 AM, PDT)
Star Trek (2009)
- Linkdale (From FilmExperience. 26 July 2016, 10:45 AM, PDT)
- Will we have the patience for American Gods? (From Hitfix. 26 July 2016, 10:27 AM, PDT)
- Box Office: Star Trek Beyond Soars, Ice Age Crashes (From Filmonic. 26 July 2016, 9:43 AM, PDT)
Paramount Pictures [us]
- Box Office Meltdown: Hollywood Races to Win Back Summer Crowds (From Variety - Film News. 26 July 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Celebrate The Holidays - Trailer For Office Christmas Party Is Here! (From LatinoReview. 26 July 2016, 8:48 AM, PDT)
- Trailer: Ensemble Comedy "Office Xmas Party" (From Dark Horizons. 26 July 2016, 8:01 AM, PDT)