During awards season, actors, screenwriters, directors and others working in film are feted at near-constant festivals and awards shows. On Dec. 5, however, it was all about the kids.
The Children’s Defense Fund-California hosted their 23rd Beat the Odds Awards at the Beverly Hills Hotel, awarding $10,000 college scholarships to five high school students who have overcome adversity in their personal lives to become successful in school and extra-curriculars. Jennifer Garner, Conan O’Brien, Reese Witherspoon, J.J. Abrams and more joined in to honor the scholars.
“What I really love about this organization and this particular event is that it is truly all about the kids,” Witherspoon said before introducing one of the honorees. “For example, many of you will notice if you look at the back of your chair, there is no gift bag hanging there, nor will you find one waiting for you at the valet.”
Witherspoon smiled as she then described that, »
- Alex Stedman
Similar News ItemsJ.J. Abrams
- Star Wars: Episode VII Delay Rumors Pop Up Once Again (From Cinelinx. 11 July 2014, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2014 Schedule for Friday, July 25th (From MovieWeb. 11 July 2014, 11:37 AM, PDT)
- Star Wars: May The 2016 Be With You? (From LatinoReview. 11 July 2014, 11:06 AM, PDT)
- The Movie Roles That Made Us Fall For Reese Witherspoon (From BuzzSugar. 11 July 2014, 12:45 PM, PDT)
- Reese Witherspoon goes ‘Wild’ in new trailer (From SoundOnSight. 11 July 2014, 7:13 AM, PDT)
- Reese Witherspoon Plays Heroin Addict in "Wild" -- See the First Trailer! (From TooFab. 11 July 2014, 6:45 AM, PDT)
Jennifer Garner (I)
- Star-Studded 'Stand Up To Cancer' Returns to Primetime on September 5 (From Entertainment Tonight. 9 July 2014, 8:46 AM, PDT)
- 150 random celebrities, painstakingly sorted into Hogwarts houses (From EW.com - PopWatch. 8 July 2014, 11:42 AM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck Looks Suspicious in New Trailer for Gone Girl (Video) (From PEOPLE.com. 7 July 2014, 10:45 AM, PDT)