During awards season, actors, screenwriters, directors and others working in film are feted at near-constant festivals and awards shows. On Dec. 5, however, it was all about the kids.
The Children’s Defense Fund-California hosted their 23rd Beat the Odds Awards at the Beverly Hills Hotel, awarding $10,000 college scholarships to five high school students who have overcome adversity in their personal lives to become successful in school and extra-curriculars. Jennifer Garner, Conan O’Brien, Reese Witherspoon, J.J. Abrams and more joined in to honor the scholars.
“What I really love about this organization and this particular event is that it is truly all about the kids,” Witherspoon said before introducing one of the honorees. “For example, many of you will notice if you look at the back of your chair, there is no gift bag hanging there, nor will you find one waiting for you at the valet.”
Witherspoon smiled as she then described that, »
- Alex Stedman
Similar News ItemsJ.J. Abrams
- Simon Pegg on the rumours of him appearing in Star Wars: Episode VII (From Flickeringmyth. 29 July 2014, 3:24 PM, PDT)
- Rian Johnson Jokes About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Inspiration (From LatinoReview. 29 July 2014, 2:47 PM, PDT)
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Review and Round-Up: Another Marvel Monster (From Thompson on Hollywood. 29 July 2014, 2:25 PM, PDT)
- Can't-Miss Celebrity Pics! (From Popsugar. 29 July 2014, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- Did Cara Delevingne Wear Fur to Leonardo DiCaprio's Wildlife Fundraiser?! (From Entertainment Tonight. 29 July 2014, 6:43 AM, PDT)
- Quiz: Biographies, biopics and based on a true story (From Cineplex. 28 July 2014, 9:31 AM, PDT)
Jennifer Garner (I)
- Jenny McCarthy Regrets Her Hillary Clinton Joke (From Popsugar. 29 July 2014, 1:20 PM, PDT)
- Kevin Smith Says Jennifer Garner is the Reason He's Not Friends with Ben Affleck Anymore (From Entertainment Tonight. 29 July 2014, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- Podcast: Reviewing 'Hercules', 'Lucy' & 'Magic in the Moonlight' Plus Some 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Talk (From Rope Of Silicon. 25 July 2014, 9:30 AM, PDT)