When a horror film sports the tagline "Based on a true story" or "Inspired by actual events," the terror quotient almost always goes up, and the films often does big box office numbers. A great recent example of this phenomenon is The Conjuring, which cleaned up during its theatrical run this summer. The idea that a film is rooted in some level of truth makes the experience more intense; even if the plot is 99% fiction, the feature is still enriched by the knowledge that there is even a shred of truth to what you are about to watch. In March, we ran a list showcasing ten terrifying movies based on actual events, and was succeeded by a follow up installment in September. We’re now proud to bring you ten more horror films that take a cue from reality.
You can see part one here and part two here.
- Tyler Doupe
Similar News ItemsDavid Cronenberg
- Brendan Gleeson Tries To Fool Taylor Kitsch In The Grand Seduction Trailer (From We Got This Covered. 24 April 2014, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- New ‘Friday the 13th’ TV Series Will Feature Jason Voorhees and “His Wacky Family” (From Slash Film. 24 April 2014, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- Interview: Tom Hardy & Steven Knight Discuss Their One-Man Gamble In The Risky, Mesmerizing ‘Locke’ (From The Playlist. 24 April 2014, 8:29 AM, PDT)
- 20 Ghastly Garbage Pail Kids - The 80s Baby's Precursor to Horror (From Dread Central. 23 April 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Unveils Critics’ Week Lineup (From Variety - Film News. 21 April 2014, 5:55 AM, PDT)
- Salem Review: Wgn’s Witchy Tale Rewrites History (From Collider.com. 20 April 2014, 10:07 AM, PDT)
James Wan (I)
- Those Foreigners Are On Fire: 10 Amazing Norwegian Horror Films (From Dread Central. 24 April 2014, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Conjuring’ Sequels Hit by Second Suit Seeking to Block Production (From Variety - Film News. 23 April 2014, 6:17 PM, PDT)
- Not Safe For Work: Severed Arms and Legs of Horror Cinema: An Off of Body Experience (From Dread Central. 23 April 2014, 6:00 PM, PDT)