Screen industry guilds and producers fear a trade treaty which the Australian government is negotiating with the Us and 10 other countries will threaten local content regulations.
Guilds representing writers, directors, actors and technicians and Screen Producers Australia have been lobbying the government to exempt audio-visual and cultural goods and services from the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement (Tppa).
The government wants to finalise the agreement with the Us, Canada, Japan, Singapore, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Vietnam, Brunei, Chile and Malaysia by the end of this year.
Australian Writers. Guild executive director Jacqueline Elaine tells If she believes the government will surrender at least some parts of the exemption, known as a cultural carve-out.
.I am absolutely convinced there will be a trade-off against other national priorities,. says Elaine, who, together with reps from Screen Producers Australia, the Australian Directors Guild and the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance, has maintained close contact with the relevant negotiators. »
- Don Groves
Similar News ItemsTrade (2007/I)
- When Aliens Invade: 8 Great Invasion Movies (From We Got This Covered. 9 July 2014, 11:05 AM, PDT)
- 7th Dwarf sells for Global Screen (From ScreenDaily. 15 May 2014, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- The HeyUGuys Summer Preview – Godzilla (From HeyUGuys. 28 April 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- The Walking Dead's Laurie Holden Joins Major Crimes' Potential Spin-Off (From TVLine.com. 30 June 2014, 10:19 AM, PDT)
- 'Law & Order: Svu's' Capt. Cragen retires: 12 other great cop-show bosses (plus Jim Dangle) (From Zap2It - From Inside the Box. 10 December 2013, 10:00 PM, PST)
- The Groundbreaking Brilliance of Homicide: Life on the Street (From SoundOnSight. 10 March 2013, 6:17 PM, PDT)
- Industry delegation fights piracy in the capital (From IF.com.au. 17 June 2014, 6:23 PM, PDT)
- Unions urge ABC to minimise job losses (From IF.com.au. 28 May 2014, 4:49 PM, PDT)
- Budget cuts for ABC, Sbs, Screen Australia (From IF.com.au. 13 May 2014, 3:17 AM, PDT)