Odd List Ryan Lambie Simon Brew 5 Dec 2013 - 06:54
Our voyage through history's underappreciated films arrives at the year 2001, and a vintage year for lesser-seen gems...
Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C Clarke may have seen 2001 as the year we'd head off to meet alien intelligences in the depths of space, but in reality, its cinematic landscape was dominated by fantasy rather than extra-terrestrials. Rowling and Tolkien dominated the box office, with Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone and The Fellowship Of The Ring earning almost $1bn each, while Monsters, Inc and Shrek thrilled old and young audiences alike.
At the other end of the spectrum of success, 2001 was such a vintage year for movies that we had to whittle our usual selection of 25 films down from an initial selection of more than 40. This is why the decision was made - with heavy heart - to exclude some of our favourite films, »
Similar News ItemsRoger Ebert
- Wes Anderson’s Ten Most Memorable Characters (From HeyUGuys. 7 March 2014, 4:00 AM, PST)
- Ebertfest Attracts Oliver Stone, Steve James, Patton Oswalt (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 6 March 2014, 7:31 AM, PST)
- Zack Snyder saved 'Watchmen' from Terry Gilliam, says Zack Snyder (From EW.com - PopWatch. 3 March 2014, 12:26 PM, PST)
- Robert Rodriguez Q&A: 'From Dusk Till Dawn' and what's wrong with TV (From EW.com - Inside TV. 7 March 2014, 1:56 PM, PST)
- Charlize Theron May Teach Life Lessons To Young Girls In Universal's Everything Nice (From Cinema Blend. 7 March 2014, 12:22 AM, PST)
- Eva Green talks about her one-of-a-kind performance in '300: Rise Of An Empire' (From Hitfix. 6 March 2014, 11:00 PM, PST)
Guillermo del Toro
- Watch: 'The Simpsons' Couch Gag Directed By Sylvain Chomet Plus 'True Detective' Parody (From Indiewire Television. 7 March 2014, 2:18 PM, PST)
- Watch: 'The Simpsons' Couch Gag Directed By Sylvain Chomet Plus 'True Detective' Parody (From The Playlist. 7 March 2014, 2:18 PM, PST)
- The Strain Gets Their Characters Together (From Horror News. 7 March 2014, 2:10 PM, PST)