The Writers Guild of America has remained tough on qualifying scripts for its screenplay awards, excluding more than a dozen high-profile scripts, including John Ridley’s screenplay for “12 Years a Slave.”
The guild’s restrictions — far more rigorous than other guilds — require that scripts be produced under WGA jurisdiction or under a collective bargaining agreement in Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the U.K. The WGA had no immediate comment on the exclusions, but the restrictions on eligibility are a longstanding practice at the guild.
Other notable screenplays excluded include Peter Morgan’s screenplay for “Rush”; Ryan Coogler’s script for “Frutivale Station”; “Philomena,” written by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope and “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,” penned by William Nicholson.
Voting to determine the WGA’s nominees launched Tuesday on 95 eligible screenplays — 41 in the adapted category and 54 in the original category. The guild’s restrictions also require that the »
- Dave McNary
Similar News ItemsChristopher Nolan (I)
- 'Transcendence' to Trail 'Rio,' 'Captain America' Over Easter (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 17 April 2014, 5:04 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: Johnny Depp’s ‘Transcendence’ Won’t Disrupt ‘Captain America,’ ‘Rio’ Rivalry (From Variety - Film News. 17 April 2014, 4:47 PM, PDT)
- Review: Transcendence Tries Too Hard, Fails Utterly (From Twitch. 17 April 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Watch the First 3 Minutes of 'In Your Eyes' Written by Joss Whedon (From MovieWeb. 17 April 2014, 4:11 PM, PDT)
- Joss Whedon's 'In Your Eyes': Watch the gripping first three minutes before Tribeca -- Exclusive Video (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 17 April 2014, 2:27 PM, PDT)
- Fledgling Director Gillian Greene's 'Murder of a Cat' Is One to Watch at Tribeca (From Thompson on Hollywood. 17 April 2014, 1:31 PM, PDT)
James Cameron (I)
- Stephen Lang Joins Wgn America’s ‘Salem’ (From Deadline TV. 17 April 2014, 6:04 PM, PDT)
- This Is What James Cameron's The Abyss Set Looks Like 20 Years Later (From Cinema Blend. 16 April 2014, 10:26 PM, PDT)
- The 20 Best Summer Blockbusters of All Time: 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' (From EW.com - PopWatch. 16 April 2014, 10:12 AM, PDT)