“Lucky” is a word that crops up repeatedly in an interview with Paul Greengrass. More than once, the 58-year-old Briton interrupts his own train of thought to express his general gratitude for the way his career has turned out.
“The opportunities I’ve been given, and continue to be given — I’ve always felt very blessed,” he says deliberately, almost bashfully.
Let it be said that 2013 has given Greengrass much reason to feel this way. “Captain Phillips,” his first feature since 2010’s underperforming “Green Zone,” has held fast at the domestic and international box office, drawn admiring reviews and significant awards hopes.
Greengrass’ own trophy haul will begin at the Dec. 8 British Independent Film Awards, where he’ll receive the Variety Award for bringing international attention to U.K. cinema — a fitting honor for a director who has remained fiercely loyal to British collaborators even as Hollywood, beginning with his 2004 franchise takeover “The Bourne Supremacy, »
- Guy Lodge
Similar News ItemsHelena Bonham Carter
- U.S. trailer for The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet (From Flickeringmyth. 31 July 2015, 9:07 AM, PDT)
- Watch: First U.S. Trailer For Jean-Pierre Jeunet's 'The Young And Prodigious T.S. Spivet' Which Opens This Week (From The Playlist. 30 July 2015, 2:21 PM, PDT)
- HBO, Russell Simmons strike first-look pact (From ScreenDaily. 30 July 2015, 4:43 AM, PDT)
- Tom Cruise: A Retrospective (From SoundOnSight. 1 August 2015, 7:30 PM, PDT)
- Marvel vs. Pixels: Weekend Box Office Will Be Fight to the Death Between Sandler Critical Dud and Ant-Man Rudd (From Alt Film Guide. 24 July 2015, 11:12 PM, PDT)
- Oscar-Winning Musical ‘Oliver!’ Getting New Movie Version (From Variety - Film News. 24 July 2015, 2:44 AM, PDT)
- Stars Talk "Bourne 6," "Fantastic 2" Possibilities (From Dark Horizons. 1 August 2015, 3:51 PM, PDT)
- Captain America: Tfa Star Tommy Lee Jones Joins Matt Damon In Bourne 5 (From ComicBookMovie. 29 July 2015, 4:25 PM, PDT)
- Tommy Lee Jones will scowl at Matt Damon in the new Bourne movie (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 29 July 2015, 3:34 AM, PDT)