“Lucky” is a word that crops up repeatedly in an interview with Paul Greengrass. More than once, the 58-year-old Briton interrupts his own train of thought to express his general gratitude for the way his career has turned out.
“The opportunities I’ve been given, and continue to be given — I’ve always felt very blessed,” he says deliberately, almost bashfully.
Let it be said that 2013 has given Greengrass much reason to feel this way. “Captain Phillips,” his first feature since 2010’s underperforming “Green Zone,” has held fast at the domestic and international box office, drawn admiring reviews and significant awards hopes.
Greengrass’ own trophy haul will begin at the Dec. 8 British Independent Film Awards, where he’ll receive the Variety Award for bringing international attention to U.K. cinema — a fitting honor for a director who has remained fiercely loyal to British collaborators even as Hollywood, beginning with his 2004 franchise takeover “The Bourne Supremacy, »
- Guy Lodge
Similar News ItemsKenneth Branagh
- Christopher Nolan Curates BFI Series on the Influences of ‘Dunkirk’ (From The Film Stage. 25 May 2017, 5:09 AM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk To Play At BFI Southbank On July 13 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 24 May 2017, 1:02 PM, PDT)
- Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk gets an extended TV spot (From Flickeringmyth. 24 May 2017, 12:24 PM, PDT)
Helena Bonham Carter
- Rihanna, Nyong'o and DuVeray Team for Netflix Movie Based on a Meme (From MovieWeb. 22 May 2017, 6:52 PM, PDT)
- Sandra Bullock set for action thriller Cash Truck (From Flickeringmyth. 18 May 2017, 8:40 AM, PDT)
- Supernatural? Perhaps. Baloney? Perhaps Not: Dark Shadows (2012) (From Trailers from Hell. 13 May 2017, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Madrid Ramps Up Efforts to Lure Production (From Variety - Film News. 19 May 2017, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- Why Christopher Nolan Must Direct A Bond Film (From Flickeringmyth. 7 May 2017, 6:21 AM, PDT)
- ‘Dabka’ Helmer Bryan Buckley On The Tricky Politics Of Incorporating Somali Non-Actors Into The Film — Tribeca Studio (From Deadline. 3 May 2017, 12:40 PM, PDT)