Former New York Observer editor Peter Kaplan has died at age 59.
Kaplan’s wife, Lisa Chase, said he died Friday of cancer in New York City.
Kaplan edited the weekly Observer from 1994 to 2009.
He was credited with honing the paper’s snarky tone and with hiring writers who became influential voices of their era.
More recently Kaplan served as editorial director of Fairchild Fashion Media, a division of Conde Nast Publications.
In addition to his wife, Kaplan is survived by their son, David; three children from his first marriage to Audrey Walker and two brothers.
- Associated Press
Similar News ItemsAudrey Walker
- Peter Kaplan, NY Observer Editor Who Hired Candace Bushnell, Dies at 59 (From Variety - TV News. 30 November 2013, 9:50 AM, PST)
- New Poster for Wake Before I Die Comes With a Warning (From Dread Central. 5 January 2013, 12:53 PM, PST)
- J Astro Reviews: “Rage” DVD (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 6 February 2012, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Sex and the City" (1998)
- Inside the Writers’ Room: Post #6: How To Rewrite and Be Rewritten, Part I (t) (From Hope for Film (t). 9 July 2014, 5:15 AM, PDT)
- Expectation vs reality: Sherlock, Hannibal and 5 more surprise TV hits (From Digital Spy - TV news. 5 July 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- 4th of July TV marathons: Chomp down on 'The Walking Dead,' fortify with 'The Twilight Zone' (From EW.com - PopWatch. 4 July 2014, 6:00 AM, PDT)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- My First Emmys: Check Out Old-School Pictures of Sarah Jessica Parker, George Clooney and More! (From E! Online. 9 July 2014, 11:52 AM, PDT)
- 150 random celebrities, painstakingly sorted into Hogwarts houses (From EW.com - PopWatch. 8 July 2014, 11:42 AM, PDT)
- Has the Cupcake Craze Already Crumbled? (From The Hollywood Reporter. 7 July 2014, 10:11 PM, PDT)