Former New York Observer editor Peter Kaplan has died at age 59.
Kaplan’s wife, Lisa Chase, said he died Friday of cancer in New York City.
Kaplan edited the weekly Observer from 1994 to 2009.
He was credited with honing the paper’s snarky tone and with hiring writers who became influential voices of their era.
More recently Kaplan served as editorial director of Fairchild Fashion Media, a division of Conde Nast Publications.
In addition to his wife, Kaplan is survived by their son, David; three children from his first marriage to Audrey Walker and two brothers.
- Associated Press
Similar News ItemsAudrey Walker
- Peter Kaplan, NY Observer Editor Who Hired Candace Bushnell, Dies at 59 (From Variety - TV News. 30 November 2013, 9:50 AM, PST)
- New Poster for Wake Before I Die Comes With a Warning (From Dread Central. 5 January 2013, 12:53 PM, PST)
- J Astro Reviews: “Rage” DVD (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 6 February 2012, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Sex and the City" (1998)
- 'Mozart in the Jungle' makes New York Times Critic’s “10 Best of 2014” List (From Hollywonk. 16 December 2014, 2:35 PM, PST)
- Exclusive: Leslie Bibb Carves Out New Path as Goofball & Producer (From Entertainment Tonight. 12 December 2014, 5:56 AM, PST)
- Golden Globe Nominations: Why the TV Picks and Snubs Shouldn’t Be a Surprise (From Scott Feinberg. 11 December 2014, 7:03 PM, PST)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- Sean Murray: ''I Would Probably Say Yes'' to Hocus Pocus Sequel, Calls Film a ''Cult Favorite'' (From E! Online. 9 December 2014, 1:36 PM, PST)
- Liz Tuccillo, Sex and the City Writer, Didn't Want Carrie and Big to End Up Together! (From Us Weekly. 5 December 2014, 11:29 AM, PST)
- Sarah Jessica Parker rom-com wraps (From ScreenDaily. 2 December 2014, 3:35 AM, PST)