Kaplan’s wife, Lisa Chase, says he died Friday of cancer in New York City.
Kaplan edited the weekly Observer from 1994 to 2009.
He was credited with honing the paper’s snarky tone and with hiring writers who became influential voices of their era.
More recently, Kaplan served as editorial director of Fairchild Fashion Media, a division of Conde Nast Publications.
In addition to his wife, Kaplan is survived by their son, David; three children from his first marriage to Audrey Walker; and two brothers.
- Associated Press
Similar News ItemsAudrey Walker (I)
- Peter Kaplan Dies: New York Observer Editor Was 59 (From Variety - TV News. 30 November 2013, 11:34 AM, PST)
- New Poster for Wake Before I Die Comes With a Warning (From Dread Central. 5 January 2013, 12:53 PM, PST)
- J Astro Reviews: “Rage” DVD (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 6 February 2012, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Sex and the City" (1998)
- It’s lit! How film finally learned to light black skin (From The Guardian - Film News. 21 September 2017, 9:26 AM, PDT)
- ‘Younger’ Season 4 Is Series’ Highest-Rated Ever in Delayed Viewing (From Variety - TV News. 20 September 2017, 3:05 PM, PDT)
- Is Beyoncé an Abbi or an Ilana? The Broad City Girls Weigh In (From E! Online. 13 September 2017, 10:24 AM, PDT)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- Freeform Reveals Full ‘13 Nights of Halloween’ Schedule (From Collider.com. 21 September 2017, 11:36 AM, PDT)
- Billy Eichner’s ‘Billy on the Street’ to Leave TruTV (From Variety - TV News. 21 September 2017, 7:51 AM, PDT)
- Get in the Holiday Spirit with Freeform’s ‘13 Nights of Halloween’; Check Out the Full Schedule (From Collider.com. 14 September 2017, 12:39 PM, PDT)