Kaplan’s wife, Lisa Chase, says he died Friday of cancer in New York City.
Kaplan edited the weekly Observer from 1994 to 2009.
He was credited with honing the paper’s snarky tone and with hiring writers who became influential voices of their era.
More recently, Kaplan served as editorial director of Fairchild Fashion Media, a division of Conde Nast Publications.
In addition to his wife, Kaplan is survived by their son, David; three children from his first marriage to Audrey Walker; and two brothers.
- Associated Press
Similar News ItemsAudrey Walker
- Peter Kaplan Dies: New York Observer Editor Was 59 (From Variety - TV News. 30 November 2013, 11:34 AM, PST)
- New Poster for Wake Before I Die Comes With a Warning (From Dread Central. 5 January 2013, 12:53 PM, PST)
- J Astro Reviews: “Rage” DVD (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 6 February 2012, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Sex and the City" (1998)
- Kristin Davis: 'Sex and the City feels unfinished' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 6 March 2014, 10:59 PM, PST)
- The 25 best TV opening credit sequences of all-time (From Hitfix. 6 March 2014, 8:08 PM, PST)
- The Devil Wears Prada (From Sky Movies. 6 March 2014, 10:12 AM, PST)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- Sarah Jessica Parker Wears Overalls on The Ellen Show: So Hot or So Not? (From Us Weekly. 6 March 2014, 8:42 AM, PST)
- Sarah Jessica Parker: Sex and the City 3 Movie Might Never Get Made—Watch Now! (From E! Online. 5 March 2014, 2:21 PM, PST)
- Sarah Jessica Parker: A 'Sex and the City 3' movie has not even been discussed (From Pop2it. 5 March 2014, 9:45 AM, PST)