Kaplan’s wife, Lisa Chase, says he died Friday of cancer in New York City.
Kaplan edited the weekly Observer from 1994 to 2009.
He was credited with honing the paper’s snarky tone and with hiring writers who became influential voices of their era.
More recently, Kaplan served as editorial director of Fairchild Fashion Media, a division of Conde Nast Publications.
In addition to his wife, Kaplan is survived by their son, David; three children from his first marriage to Audrey Walker; and two brothers.
- Associated Press
Similar News ItemsAudrey Walker
- Peter Kaplan Dies: New York Observer Editor Was 59 (From Variety - TV News. 30 November 2013, 11:34 AM, PST)
- New Poster for Wake Before I Die Comes With a Warning (From Dread Central. 5 January 2013, 12:53 PM, PST)
- J Astro Reviews: “Rage” DVD (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 6 February 2012, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Sex and the City" (1998)
- TV Land’s “Younger” Debuts Hilary Duff’s New Song “Sparks” Video (From Monsters and Critics. 26 March 2015, 7:55 AM, PDT)
- Did Sarah Jessica Parker Seriously Shade Tom Hanks?! (From E! Online. 25 March 2015, 1:07 PM, PDT)
- Happy 50th Birthday, Sarah Jessica Parker! Here's to Your Best Fashion Moments On & Off the Red Carpet (From E! Online. 25 March 2015, 12:01 PM, PDT)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- Sarah Jessica Parker Admits She 'Forgot' About 'Sex and the City' After Shooting Pilot (Video) (From Moviefone. 26 March 2015, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Q&A: ‘Scandal’ Actress Katie Lowes Takes the Stage in ‘A Dog’s House’ (From Variety - TV News. 26 March 2015, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- 35 of the Funniest Sex and the City Moments (From BuzzSugar. 25 March 2015, 4:48 PM, PDT)