Kaplan’s wife, Lisa Chase, says he died Friday of cancer in New York City.
Kaplan edited the weekly Observer from 1994 to 2009.
He was credited with honing the paper’s snarky tone and with hiring writers who became influential voices of their era.
More recently, Kaplan served as editorial director of Fairchild Fashion Media, a division of Conde Nast Publications.
In addition to his wife, Kaplan is survived by their son, David; three children from his first marriage to Audrey Walker; and two brothers.
- Associated Press
Similar News ItemsAudrey Walker
- Peter Kaplan Dies: New York Observer Editor Was 59 (From Variety - TV News. 30 November 2013, 11:34 AM, PST)
- New Poster for Wake Before I Die Comes With a Warning (From Dread Central. 5 January 2013, 12:53 PM, PST)
- J Astro Reviews: “Rage” DVD (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 6 February 2012, 3:12 PM, PST)
"Sex and the City" (1998)
- Forget 'Jem,' Now Barbie Is Getting Her Own Movie Franchise (From Moviefone. 23 April 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Barbie is hitting the big screen in a live-action comedy from Sony (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 23 April 2014, 1:03 PM, PDT)
- Here Are All the HBO Shows Coming to Amazon Prime (From Moviefone. 23 April 2014, 12:00 PM, PDT)
Sarah Jessica Parker
- Power of Women NY Honoree: Sarah Jessica Parker (From Variety - TV News. 22 April 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Power of Women NY Honoree: Sarah Jessica Parker (From Variety - Film News. 22 April 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- 18 Stars Who Reinvented Themselves on the Small Screen (From BuzzSugar. 21 April 2014, 5:10 PM, PDT)