Disney should feel good about its frosty feature this frame. Among a crowded slate of newcomers, the Mouse’s “Frozen” appears to be the only one to break into the top five.
Leading the holdovers, Lionsgate’s “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is burning bright for the second weekend with an anticipated $110 million in five days. With a little luck, the dystopian actioner may cross $300 million domestically and should definitely cross $500 million worldwide by Monday.
Programming for families with children who may be too young for “Catching Fire,” “Frozen” is headed for second with around $90 million Wednesday-Sunday. The record-holders for Thanksgiving openers include “Toy Story 2″ and “Tangled” in the first and second slots, so Disney has proven its strategy with this frame and it’s paying off handsomely for “Frozen.”
- Michael Sullivan
Similar News ItemsThor: The Dark World (2013)
- Anthony Hopkins Boards Pacific Northwest Thriller ‘Go With Me’ (From Deadline New York. 19 September 2014, 11:50 AM, PDT)
- 'Doctor Strange': Filming location and possible release date revealed (From Hitfix. 17 September 2014, 9:37 PM, PDT)
- Doctor Strange Set for July 8, 2016; Will Likely Shoot in the U.K. (From Collider.com. 17 September 2014, 7:59 AM, PDT)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
- Watch: New Clip From Lone Scherfig's 'The Riot Club' Plus 10-Minute Interview With The Cast (From The Playlist. 19 September 2014, 8:25 AM, PDT)
- Imax CEO Says Audiences Are "A Little Sick Of The Post-Apocalyptic, Dark, Angst-Ridden, Suicidal Movies" (From The Playlist. 17 September 2014, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- PR Vet Dick Lippin, Producer Allison Shearmur Being Honored by Zimmer Children's Museum (From The Wrap. 16 September 2014, 11:58 AM, PDT)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
- 16 hidden treats found waiting for you in movie credits (From Den of Geek. 11 September 2014, 1:17 AM, PDT)
- Pixar Movie Supercut Explores the Use of Color (From GeekTyrant. 9 September 2014, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Votd: The Colorful Worlds of Pixar (From Slash Film. 9 September 2014, 6:00 AM, PDT)