Garth Brooks had a CBS special Friday (Nov. 29), "Live from Las Vegas," a live broadcast of his final performance of his one-man show at the Wynn Las Vegas, which has been running the last three years.
The special is a musical journey of Brooks' own stuff but also the songs and artists who influenced him along the way. He starts in the 1960s with a really funny recounting of how his parents' musical tastes differed.
His dad was into two musical icons -- Merle Haggard and George Jones. His mom was into Motown, particularly Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight. Brooks cracks that as a little kid, he wanted to like his dad's music, but it wasn't exactly kid-appropriate.
"Everything Haggard did in the '60s was about prison. People, I'm five years old. In Oklahoma, that's still a good 8-9 years away from prison," laughs Brooks.
As the Brooks family moved into the 1970s, »
Similar News ItemsAretha Franklin
- Bob's Burgers Video: Gayle's Demands Include 'Love, Drama & Scott Bakula' (From TVLine.com. 27 February 2015, 9:09 AM, PST)
- Pilot Scoop: Once Alum Tom Ellis Lands Satanic Title Role in Fox's Lucifer (From TVLine.com. 27 February 2015, 9:00 AM, PST)
- American Idol Recap: Chick Magnetism (From TVLine.com. 26 February 2015, 6:17 PM, PST)
- Empire's Jussie Smollett on Confronting Homophobia: "That's What the Block Button Is For" (From Popsugar. 25 February 2015, 10:55 AM, PST)
- Empire's Jussie Smollett on Confronting Homophobia: "That's What the Block Button Is For" (From BuzzSugar. 25 February 2015, 10:55 AM, PST)
- The Hot Oscars Parties You May Have Missed (From Popsugar. 25 February 2015, 3:40 AM, PST)
Garth Brooks (I)
- Garth 'Freaking' Brooks Plays Secret Show in Nashville (From PEOPLE.com. 26 February 2015, 7:55 AM, PST)
- 'Karaoke Fiend' Gabrielle Union Calls Husband Dwyane Wade 'My Little Honey Boo Boo' on The Tonight Show (From PEOPLE.com. 25 February 2015, 3:25 PM, PST)
- Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett, Cole Swindell named New Artist of the Year finalists for Acm Awards (From Gold Derby. 18 February 2015, 11:07 AM, PST)