Garth Brooks had a CBS special Friday (Nov. 29), "Live from Las Vegas," a live broadcast of his final performance of his one-man show at the Wynn Las Vegas, which has been running the last three years.
The special is a musical journey of Brooks' own stuff but also the songs and artists who influenced him along the way. He starts in the 1960s with a really funny recounting of how his parents' musical tastes differed.
His dad was into two musical icons -- Merle Haggard and George Jones. His mom was into Motown, particularly Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight. Brooks cracks that as a little kid, he wanted to like his dad's music, but it wasn't exactly kid-appropriate.
"Everything Haggard did in the '60s was about prison. People, I'm five years old. In Oklahoma, that's still a good 8-9 years away from prison," laughs Brooks.
As the Brooks family moved into the 1970s, »
Similar News ItemsAretha Franklin
- Aretha Franklin Says She's Met w/ Lifetime About Her Biopic; Still Wants Audra McDonald to Star (From ShadowAndAct. 3 July 2014, 3:11 PM, PDT)
- R&B and Soul Legend Bobby Womack Dead at 70 (From Vulture. 28 June 2014, 9:24 AM, PDT)
- R.I.P., Bobby Womack (From CultureCatch. 28 June 2014, 5:11 AM, PDT)
- Gerry Goffin, Carole King's Ex-Husband, Dies at 75 (From PEOPLE.com. 20 June 2014, 4:55 AM, PDT)
- Tony Awards: See every musical performance (From EW.com - PopWatch. 9 June 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Snoop Dogg Karaokes ‘Gangnam Style’ with Psy, Jimmy Kimmel (Video) (From The Wrap. 9 June 2014, 7:41 AM, PDT)
Garth Brooks (I)
- What's Going on With Garth Brooks and Ireland? (From Vulture. 12 July 2014, 2:30 PM, PDT)
- Garth Brooks Announces New Album And World Tour Comeback [Video] (From Uinterview. 10 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Garth Brooks Announces a New World Tour and Double Album—Get the Scoop! (From E! Online. 10 July 2014, 4:14 PM, PDT)