Of the three dozen films identified as potential Oscar contenders, 22 of them have at least one female producer.
That seems to indicate women producers are gaining more equality with their male counterparts. And the Producers Guild of America says that nearly half (47%, to be exact) of its 6,000 members are women, according to Lydia Dean Pilcher of the PGA Women’s Impact Network.
But while those tallies represent some progress for femme producers over the past decade, a closer look reveals something troubling: There’s still a huge economic disparity between the sexes.
Stacy Smith, a professor at USC Annenberg School for Communications and Journalism, says that the role of women seems to diminish in direct correlation to the cost of movies.
- Tim Gray
Similar News ItemsMan of Steel (2013)
- Superman: Henry Cavill on another solo movie (From Den of Geek. 6 July 2015, 10:32 PM, PDT)
- Henry Cavill Hopeful For More Superman Solo Films (From We Got This Covered. 6 July 2015, 9:33 PM, PDT)
- Henry Cavill talks Dawn of Justice; hopes for a solo Superman film in future (From JoBlo. 6 July 2015, 8:00 PM, PDT)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
- Hot Toys’ 2015 Toy Fair exclusive Iron Man Mark Xxiv Tank from Iron Man 3 (From Flickeringmyth. 6 July 2015, 7:35 AM, PDT)
- Jurassic World becomes the fifth-biggest movie of all time at the worldwide box office (From Flickeringmyth. 5 July 2015, 12:25 PM, PDT)
- Jurassic World: Ty Simpkins Talks Landing His Role, the Gyrosphere, and More (From Collider.com. 3 July 2015, 7:00 AM, PDT)
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
- Say What You Will About the Academy - But Some Cool International Names Among 2015 New Member Invitees (From Alt Film Guide. 30 June 2015, 6:47 PM, PDT)
- Don Harris Leaving Paramount as President of U.S. Distribution (From Variety - Film News. 30 June 2015, 3:03 PM, PDT)
- ‘Star Trek 3′ Gets Title, Michael Bay Benghazi Thriller Sets Release Date (From Variety - Film News. 30 June 2015, 12:21 PM, PDT)