Of the three dozen films identified as potential Oscar contenders, 22 of them have at least one female producer.
That seems to indicate women producers are gaining more equality with their male counterparts. And the Producers Guild of America says that nearly half (47%, to be exact) of its 6,000 members are women, according to Lydia Dean Pilcher of the PGA Women’s Impact Network.
But while those tallies represent some progress for femme producers over the past decade, a closer look reveals something troubling: There’s still a huge economic disparity between the sexes.
Stacy Smith, a professor at USC Annenberg School for Communications and Journalism, says that the role of women seems to diminish in direct correlation to the cost of movies.
- Tim Gray
Similar News ItemsMan of Steel (2013)
- ‘Batman: Assault on Arkham’ Trailer – The Animated Movie Based on the ‘Arkham’ Games (From Screen Rant. 19 April 2014, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- Zack Snyder: ‘Everyone Clings to the Christopher Reeve Version of Superman’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 April 2014, 1:40 PM, PDT)
- Zack Snyder talks Batman vs. Superman (From TheMovieBit. 19 April 2014, 2:14 AM, PDT)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
- Box-Office: ‘Captain America’ Threepeats At #1, Johnny Depp’s ‘Transcendence’ Flops Hard (From The Playlist. 20 April 2014, 9:24 AM, PDT)
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe overtakes James Bond to become second-highest grossing franchise of all time (From Flickeringmyth. 19 April 2014, 12:36 PM, PDT)
- Transcendence review: AI yai yai (From FlickFilosopher. 18 April 2014, 9:34 AM, PDT)
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
- Here's Where You Can Watch J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek' Movies with a Live Orchestra (From Movies.com. 18 April 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Chris Pine will try to save the day in 'The Finest Hours' (From Hitfix. 18 April 2014, 10:29 AM, PDT)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 review: black and white and web all over (From FlickFilosopher. 18 April 2014, 3:08 AM, PDT)