Wherever you go in town this time of year you’re likely to run into a filmmaker. Or an actor. Or at least a producer.
It’s not that normally inaccessible movie stars are suddenly becoming pedestrian friendly. It’s just that in this corridor of time known as awards season, “face time” takes on great import for those who have a shot at a nomination. So they’re out there pitching their wares to prospective voters like salesmen with their fall line.
Face time takes on many different forms — Q&A sessions, cocktail receptions, dinner parties and, of course, the nonstop ritual of hosted screenings. Such figures as Emma Thompson, George Clooney or Tom Hanks become instantly ubiquitous, but this year far more so than in previous campaigns. The reason: Most studios are curtailing their ad budgets and relying much more on promotion to push awards contenders. And the »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- Spike TV Greenlights ‘Caraoke Showdown’ Series Hosted by Craig Robinson (From Variety - TV News. 26 July 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- All the Times Sandra Bullock Lit Up a Room (From Popsugar. 26 July 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Shailene Woodley Caravans Across U.S. to Democratic National Convention (From Variety - Film News. 25 July 2016, 8:01 AM, PDT)
- Today in Movie Culture: Quentin Tarantion's 'Suicide Squad,' James Cameron's Climate Change PSA and More (From Movies.com. 28 July 2016, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Wolf Creek Spins Off 6 Ep TV Series for Pop (From Comicmix. 28 July 2016, 2:56 PM, PDT)
- Wolf Creek 6-Part Series to Make Us Premiere on the Pop Network this October (From DailyDead. 27 July 2016, 4:18 PM, PDT)
- Trailer: Free State of Jones (From Pure Movies. 28 July 2016, 6:33 AM, PDT)
- Watch the UK trailer for Free State of Jones starring Matthew McConaughey (From Flickeringmyth. 27 July 2016, 10:40 PM, PDT)
- ‘Interstellar’ Star Mackenzie Foy to Lead Disney’s ‘The Nutcracker’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2016, 2:52 PM, PDT)