The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Dave Franco Explains How Wanting to Have Sex With Christopher Mintz-Plasse Launched His Career (From Movies.com. 28 July 2016, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Wolf Creek Spins Off 6 Ep TV Series for Pop (From Comicmix. 28 July 2016, 2:56 PM, PDT)
- Mel Gibson’s ‘Hacksaw Ridge’ Emerges as Surprise Awards Contender (From Thompson on Hollywood. 28 July 2016, 12:53 PM, PDT)
- James Gunn on “spoiling” the identity of Star-Lord’s father in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 29 July 2016, 12:09 PM, PDT)
- Star-Lord's Dad Isn't a Spoiler in Guardians 2 According to Director (From MovieWeb. 29 July 2016, 8:34 AM, PDT)
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ Footage Secrets & Details Revealed by James Gunn [Comic-Con 2016] (From Slash Film. 27 July 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Fast Friday Set Video Checks In With The Toretto Crew Ahead Of Fast 8 (From We Got This Covered. 29 July 2016, 9:45 AM, PDT)
- Blade Runner 2 Gets Walking Dead Favorite Lennie James (From MovieWeb. 26 July 2016, 3:36 PM, PDT)
- Lennie James Joins the Cast of the Blade Runner Sequel (From DailyDead. 26 July 2016, 11:53 AM, PDT)