The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- James Franco Stars in New Droid Commercial But Chooses iPhone in Real Life (Video) (From The Wrap. 31 October 2014, 8:27 AM, PDT)
- “Tricks And Treats”: Watch The Halloween Episode Of 'Freaks And Geeks' (From The Playlist. 31 October 2014, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- James Franco Settles Lawsuit Over Charles Bukowski Biopic (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 October 2014, 2:53 PM, PDT)
- Top Killers: The 25 Deadliest Actors According to On-Screen Body Counts (From Entertainment Tonight. 29 October 2014, 5:31 PM, PDT)
- Top 10 Tuesday: Fantastic Fest 2014 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 28 October 2014, 9:53 PM, PDT)
- Agents of Shield’s Adrianne Palicki is Becoming a Real Action Heroine (From TVovermind.com. 27 October 2014, 6:45 AM, PDT)
- Terrence Jenkins and Maria Menounos Hosting Live From Furious 7 With Special Guests Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez and More! (From E! Online. 31 October 2014, 12:58 PM, PDT)
- The 31 Best Action Movies on Netflix Right Now (From Moviefone. 31 October 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Dwayne Johnson vs. Jason Statham in new Fast & Furious 7 image (From Flickeringmyth. 30 October 2014, 3:57 AM, PDT)