The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- James Franco Disses Lindsay Lohan in New Hollywood Dreaming Book: See Four More Famous Targets (From E! Online. 22 September 2014, 4:02 PM, PDT)
- James Franco And Seth Rogen Do It The American Way In Nsfw Trailer For The Interview (From We Got This Covered. 22 September 2014, 1:19 PM, PDT)
- 'The Interview' Red Band Trailer Proves Killing Kim Jong-un Is Filthy, Hilarious Work (Video) (From Moviefone. 22 September 2014, 9:20 AM, PDT)
- Tom Sizemore Launches Crowdfunding Campaign For Detroit-Set Thriller He’ll Star In & Produce (From Deadline New York. 18 September 2014, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- China Box Office: 'Planet of the Apes' Narrowly Tops 'Expendables 3' (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 September 2014, 8:26 PM, PDT)
- Top 10 “One Last Job” Scenes (From SoundOnSight. 11 September 2014, 4:02 PM, PDT)
- The Maze Runner 2 named and dated (From Den of Geek. 21 September 2014, 11:19 PM, PDT)
- First image of Ed Skrein in The Transporter reboot (From Flickeringmyth. 16 September 2014, 7:15 AM, PDT)
- Cool trailer for BBC's Peaky Blinders starring Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy (From JoBlo. 15 September 2014, 7:59 AM, PDT)