The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Strategic Partners unveils LatAm scheme (From ScreenDaily. 1 August 2014, 4:08 PM, PDT)
- ‘Child of God’ a dark and very disturbing look at a man living on the edge (From SoundOnSight. 1 August 2014, 2:17 PM, PDT)
- Screen Talk: from Comic-Con's Sublime 'Interstellar' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy' to James Franco (From Thompson on Hollywood. 1 August 2014, 11:04 AM, PDT)
- From 'Traitor' to Screen Legend: Fonda Still Busy on the Big Screen (From Alt Film Guide. 1 August 2014, 10:21 PM, PDT)
- TCM Offers Controversial (and Legendary) Actress Fonda Film Marathon Today (From Alt Film Guide. 1 August 2014, 7:21 PM, PDT)
- Final 'The Expendables 3' Trailer as Movie Leaks Online (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 August 2014, 4:56 PM, PDT)
- ‘Transporter Legacy’ Set for U.S. Release on March 6 (From Variety - Film News. 1 August 2014, 7:16 PM, PDT)
- The Transporter Legacy Hits Theaters Next Year (From Cinema Blend. 1 August 2014, 6:51 PM, PDT)
- ‘Expendables 3' Leak Sparks Copyright Lawsuit From Lions Gate (From The Wrap. 1 August 2014, 6:33 PM, PDT)