The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- ‘Hunger Games’ Star Josh Hutcherson to Lead James Franco’s ‘The Long Home’ (From The Wrap. 1 May 2015, 4:22 PM, PDT)
- Josh Hutcherson to Star in James Franco’s ‘The Long Home’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 1 May 2015, 3:16 PM, PDT)
- James Franco and Josh Hartnett play feuding Texas brothers in the Wild Horses trailer (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 May 2015, 1:46 PM, PDT)
- The top 25 underappreciated films of 1989 (From Den of Geek. 28 April 2015, 11:45 AM, PDT)
- Michael B. Jordan 'ripped' for Creed role (From National Ledger. 27 April 2015, 3:37 AM, PDT)
- Jessica and Ashlee Simpson Have a Sweet Double Date With Their Guys (From Popsugar. 24 April 2015, 11:50 AM, PDT)
- Jason Statham has no love for Cirque du Soleil in a clip from Melissa McCarthy's Spy (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 May 2015, 3:46 PM, PDT)
- Paul Feig and 50 Cent Talk Spy, the Eclectic Cast, Their Worst Jobs, and More (From Collider.com. 1 May 2015, 10:11 AM, PDT)
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Says "People Go Crazy" for Boyfriend Jason Statham: "Doing Normal Stuff Just Isn't the Same" (From Us Weekly. 1 May 2015, 2:14 AM, PDT)