The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Lifetime’s Britney Spears Biopic ‘Britney Ever After’ Gets First Trailer (Video) (From The Wrap. 23 January 2017, 10:52 AM, PST)
- Judd Apatow says no plans for a Freaks and Geeks revival (From Flickeringmyth. 22 January 2017, 12:16 PM, PST)
- Alison Brie and Dave Franco Talk Wedding Date: "Hopefully Soon!" (From E! Online. 20 January 2017, 11:19 AM, PST)
- ‘Every Which Way But Loose’ Remake On Way; Anthony Cohen Tapped To Helm (From Deadline. 23 January 2017, 3:43 PM, PST)
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 gets an international trailer (From Flickeringmyth. 23 January 2017, 2:02 PM, PST)
- 2017 Razzie Awards Nominations Announced (From MovieWeb. 23 January 2017, 8:58 AM, PST)
- My Father Die Review (From We Got This Covered. 22 January 2017, 12:25 PM, PST)
- Amazon's £10 off £50 spend deal: things to buy (From Den of Geek. 20 January 2017, 4:44 AM, PST)
- Jason Statham and Gal Gadot Team-Up in Wix Super Bowl Commercial (From MovieWeb. 19 January 2017, 11:29 AM, PST)