The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Cannes Film Review: ‘The Little Prince’ (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2015, 6:45 AM, PDT)
- Kellan Lutz , Vanessa Hudgens Talk Sex Scenes; Reenact ‘High School Musical 2’ (Video) (From The Wrap. 22 May 2015, 12:37 AM, PDT)
- Frameline Film Fest Slates Auteurs and Indies, From Rw Fassbinder to Peter Greenaway (From Thompson on Hollywood. 20 May 2015, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Sylvester Stallone to Salman Khan: We should do an action film together (From GlamSham. 22 May 2015, 7:33 AM, PDT)
- The UnPopular Opinion: The Expendables (From JoBlo. 20 May 2015, 5:01 PM, PDT)
- Ufc's Anderson Silva -- Jon Jones Shouldn't Return ... He Needs to Change His Life (From TMZ. 18 May 2015, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- How Can You Get a 3D Printed Jason Statham Mask? (From Slash Film. 22 May 2015, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Box Office Democracy: Mad Max: Fury Road (From Comicmix. 22 May 2015, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Movie Review – Spy (2015) (From Flickeringmyth. 22 May 2015, 8:38 AM, PDT)