The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Journo Comedy Flarsky Begins To Take Shape With Charlize Theron And Seth Rogen (From We Got This Covered. 24 February 2017, 7:10 AM, PST)
- Watch: Ominous 'Alien: Covenant' Prologue Echoes The Original's Iconic Dining Scene (From Movies.com. 23 February 2017, 3:00 PM, PST)
- Update: Watch ‘The Last Supper’ prologue for Alien: Covenant, new image released (From Flickeringmyth. 23 February 2017, 12:06 PM, PST)
- Collide Review (From We Got This Covered. 24 February 2017, 3:01 PM, PST)
- George Clooney Pays Touching Tribute to Pregnant Wife Amal While Bringing Down the House at French Awards: ‘Love Trumps Hate’ (From PEOPLE.com. 24 February 2017, 2:37 PM, PST)
- Hot Toys reveals its Rocket Raccoon collectible figure from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 24 February 2017, 2:29 PM, PST)
- The Fate of the Furious: The Rules Have Changed In New International Trailer (From LRM Online. 24 February 2017, 8:38 AM, PST)
- International Trailer For The Fate Of The Furious Uncovers A Rift Between The Toretto Crew (From We Got This Covered. 24 February 2017, 7:40 AM, PST)
- Fate of the Furious International Trailer Has Dom and Letty at War (From MovieWeb. 23 February 2017, 3:30 PM, PST)