The domestic five-day weekend for “Catching Fire” could top out at close to $100 million, though current estimates are $90 million-plus.
Meanwhile, Disney’s animated “Frozen” is breaking records of its own, with an $11.1 million Thanksgiving Day feast. It’s also likely to break the Thanksgiving weekend opening record with approximately $90 million for five days. (The one week preview at Hollywood’s El Capitan doesn’t count as a true opening.) “Frozen” is currently at $26.6 million and is enjoying excellent word of mouth.
After opening in 16 new markets this week, worldwide gross for the behemoth “Hunger Games” sequel is now $423 million through Thursday, with a domestic cume of $222 million.
- Pat Saperstein
Similar News ItemsJames Franco
- Seth Rogen Calls Process of Promoting Movies a "Massive Bulls--t Machine" in Bromantic Interview With James Franco (From E! Online. 11 March 2014, 3:23 PM, PDT)
- 'Inside Llewyn Davis', 'Book Thief', 'Out of the Furnace' and More on DVD & Blu-ray (From Rope Of Silicon. 11 March 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- "Homefront" On DVD, Blu-ray and VOD - March 11, 2014 (From SneakPeek. 10 March 2014, 12:18 PM, PDT)
- The rise and fall of Carolco (From Den of Geek. 10 March 2014, 4:12 AM, PDT)
- Escape Plan DVD Review (From The Hollywood News. 10 March 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Person of Interest's Jim Caviezel: 'Things will get intense for John' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 10 March 2014, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- New VOD and Streaming Movies, Plus: How to Watch 'American Hustle' and 'Veronica Mars' at Home Before Disc (From Movies.com. 12 March 2014)
- Exclusive Interview with Uwe Boll for ‘In The Name of the King 3’ (From LatinoReview. 11 March 2014, 10:28 AM, PDT)
- New DVD Blu-ray: ' Inside Llewyn Davis,' 'Out of the Furnace,' 'Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia' (From Moviefone. 11 March 2014, 9:30 AM, PDT)