Feature Ryan Lambie 29 Nov 2013 - 12:47
Ahead of Bravely Default's UK launch on the Nintendo 3Ds, we explain why the handheld console has long been the perfect venue for RPGs...
In its early days, handheld gaming was considered to be the preserve of the long train journey or 10-minute tea break. Find yourself at a loose end for a few minutes in the early 90s, and you could reach for your slab of a first-gen Game Boy and enjoy a quick go on Tetris or Super Mario Land.
Even in today, with handheld gaming no longer the preserve of dedicated systems like the 3Ds or Vita, it's titles like Candy Crush, Angry Birds or Cut The Rope that are most commonly associated with the portable medium: bite-sized games that can be slotted in neatly between other, more important tasks.
Yet even in the relatively early days of the Game Boy »
Similar News ItemsWith You (2008)
- 50+ Famous, Sexy Silver Foxes (From Popsugar. 10 March 2017, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Exclusive: Sandra Oh and Anne Heche on 'Catfight,' Fight Scenes and Fighting for Roles (From Entertainment Tonight. 2 March 2017, 2:15 PM, PST)
- Korea’s Cj E&M to Spend $40 Million on Original TV Content (From Variety - TV News. 2 March 2017, 5:34 AM, PST)
- Pokemon: Rob Letterman to Direct Live-Action Detective Pikachu Movie (From TVSeriesFinale. 2 December 2016, 5:45 PM, PST)
- ‘Pokémon’ Movie Pursued By Legendary Pictures After ‘Pokémon Go’ Frenzy (From Indiewire. 13 July 2016, 8:04 AM, PDT)
- From Kewpies to Minions: A Brief History of Pop Culture Cuteness (From Rolling Stone. 21 July 2015, 6:05 AM, PDT)
- Final Fantasy Xii: The Zodiac Age Hands-On Preview [Pax East 2017] (From We Got This Covered. 14 March 2017, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Final Fantasy Xii - The Zodiac Age Gets a Beastly Collector's Edition (From Cinelinx. 10 March 2017, 1:34 PM, PST)
- Square Enix unveils key art for Final Fantasy VII Remake (From Flickeringmyth. 2 February 2017, 4:55 AM, PST)