Only French cinema could get away with Jeune & Jolie. Beneath its stylish, sexy glow lies an essential absurdity and obtuseness
François Ozon's fervent and well-acted drama about a 17-year-old girl exploring her sexuality by becoming a high-class call girl is very watchable … and entirely ridiculous. It has a stylish gloss and sexy glow, no doubt about it. Only French cinema could get away with it.
Yet once the credits roll, its essential absurdity and obtuseness become apparent: it's a solemn belle de jour tale with a touch of David Hamilton softcore, existing outside the grim reality of vulnerable women being abused and trafficked.
Yet it has to be said that Marine Vacth is excellent as Isabelle, the schoolgirl with a secret life as a €500 prostitute, »
- Peter Bradshaw
Similar News ItemsBlue Is the Warmest Color (2013)
- Daniel Craig’s 007 featured on Total Film’s Spectre cover (From Flickeringmyth. 28 August 2015, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Lea Seydoux offered female lead in Gambit opposite Channing Tatum (From Flickeringmyth. 25 August 2015, 11:41 AM, PDT)
- Tiff First Look: David Oyelowo and Dianne Wiest Lead 'Five Nights in Maine' (From Thompson on Hollywood. 25 August 2015, 11:39 AM, PDT)
- Locarno: French Thesp Hafsia Herzi Stars in ‘Love’ (From Variety - Film News. 11 August 2015, 12:06 PM, PDT)
- 9 Female Coming-of-Age Films Now Streaming on Netflix (From Indiewire. 4 August 2015, 7:54 AM, PDT)
- 2015 Venice Film Festival: Guadagnino, Sokurov, Kaufman, Bellocchio & Fukunaga Compete for Golden Lion (From ioncinema. 29 July 2015, 4:35 PM, PDT)
- Outfest Announces 2015 Winners (From Variety - Film News. 19 July 2015, 12:10 PM, PDT)
- 'A Sinner In Mecca' among 2015 Outfest winners (From ScreenDaily. 19 July 2015, 11:18 AM, PDT)
- Say What You Will About the Academy - But Some Cool International Names Among 2015 New Member Invitees (From Alt Film Guide. 30 June 2015, 6:47 PM, PDT)