Only French cinema could get away with Jeune & Jolie. Beneath its stylish, sexy glow lies an essential absurdity and obtuseness
François Ozon's fervent and well-acted drama about a 17-year-old girl exploring her sexuality by becoming a high-class call girl is very watchable … and entirely ridiculous. It has a stylish gloss and sexy glow, no doubt about it. Only French cinema could get away with it.
Yet once the credits roll, its essential absurdity and obtuseness become apparent: it's a solemn belle de jour tale with a touch of David Hamilton softcore, existing outside the grim reality of vulnerable women being abused and trafficked.
Yet it has to be said that Marine Vacth is excellent as Isabelle, the schoolgirl with a secret life as a €500 prostitute, »
- Peter Bradshaw
Similar News ItemsBlue Is the Warmest Color (2013)
- Drake Doremus Plots Equals Follow-Up With Charlie Hunnam And Léa Seydoux (From We Got This Covered. 20 August 2016, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Lea Séydoux and Charlie Hunnam Leading Drake Doremus’ ‘Equals’ Follow-Up (From The Film Stage. 19 August 2016, 2:25 PM, PDT)
- San Sebastian: Joris-Peyrafitte, Guzzoni, Nyholm Lead New Generation Competition Invasion (From Variety - Film News. 5 August 2016, 4:33 AM, PDT)
- New to Streaming: ‘De Palma,’ ‘Sunset Song,’ ‘Melancholia,’ ‘The Jungle Book,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 26 August 2016, 9:10 AM, PDT)
- Mulholland Drive Tops BBC's 100 Best Movies of the 21st Century List (From MovieWeb. 23 August 2016, 12:21 PM, PDT)
- The 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century: BBC Polls Critics From Around The Globe (From Indiewire. 23 August 2016, 8:44 AM, PDT)
- San Sebastian: 'I, Daniel Blake', 'Fire At Sea' in Pearls line-up (From ScreenDaily. 19 August 2016, 4:16 AM, PDT)
- Tiff 2016. Lineup (From MUBI. 12 August 2016, 12:52 PM, PDT)
- 'The Odyssey' to close San Sebastian (From ScreenDaily. 12 August 2016, 5:24 AM, PDT)