With only a small lead over Disney toon “Frozen,” Lionsgate’s “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is expected to win the Thanksgiving extended frame with upwards of $85 million.
The actioner earned $20.7 million Wednesday, bringing its domestic cume to $206.4 million in only six days. It is now the sixth fastest film to cross the $200 million mark after “The Avengers,” “The Dark Knight,” “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” and “The Dark Knight Rises” (“Rises” also took six days, but wound up with $211.8 million).
“Frozen” bowed Wednesday to $15.2 million and is expected to earn between $70 million and $80 million catering to families with young children this weekend. Though Thanksgiving Day isn’t generally a big moviegoing day, “Frozen” should see about 11% of its five-day haul from the holiday itself.
Other openers counterprogramming the weekend’s big bows are doing so with mixed success.
Open Road bowed »
- Michael Sullivan
Similar News ItemsThe Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- July Box Office Falls Short of $1 Billion (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 1 August 2014, 5:01 PM, PDT)
- Final trailer for The Expendables 3 (From Flickeringmyth. 31 July 2014, 2:24 PM, PDT)
- Mad Max: Fury Road Images Show Tom Hardy Giving Nicholas Hoult a Boost (From Collider.com. 31 July 2014, 8:06 AM, PDT)
The Dark Knight (2008)
- David Zayas joins Gotham as mob boss Sal Maroni (From Flickeringmyth. 1 August 2014, 2:46 PM, PDT)
- 5 Geeky Things We Want This Week, Batman's 75th Anniversary Edition (From GeekTyrant. 1 August 2014, 1:15 PM, PDT)
- David Zayas cast as mobster Sal Maroni in 'Gotham' (From EW.com - Inside TV. 1 August 2014, 11:45 AM, PDT)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
- Don’t Expect A Female Superhero Movie From Marvel Until At Least 2019 (From We Got This Covered. 1 August 2014, 5:52 PM, PDT)
- Jena Malone Strips Down to Her Skivvies at Lingerie Bash (From TooFab. 1 August 2014, 3:45 PM, PDT)
- New poster, clip, featurette and TV spots for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (From Flickeringmyth. 1 August 2014, 1:08 AM, PDT)