Disney's writers are clearly making efforts to produce less compliant female leads – so why are we still lumbered with hourglass figures, tiny feet and huge doe eyes?
With two strong sisters at the centre of the story, Disney's new animation Frozen seems like a winner for women. Loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen, it sees the fearless Princess Anna travel the kingdom to find her misunderstood sister Elsa, who has fled after accidentally plunging the land into an icy winter with her magic powers. Sure, there are men along the way, but they're not the prize: this is about female bonding, self-awareness, independence. It's also a musical with cracking songs. Even the silly snowman sidekick is funny.
The snag is, both Elsa and Anna have the kind of proportions that would make Barbie look chunky: tiny nipped-in waists, no hips, long legs, skinny arms, pert breasts, »
Similar News ItemsPuss in Boots (2011)
- Puss in Boots to Become a Netflix Series (From Worst Previews. 14 March 2014, 11:17 PM, PDT)
- ‘Puss In Boots’ Among New Netflix DreamWorks Shows; ‘Cars’ Gets a New Pixar Short (From Slash Film. 13 March 2014, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Netflix To Create Three Series From Existing DreamWorks Franchises (From Tubefilter News. 13 March 2014, 1:34 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: Smart Dogs, Ab'ed Warriors, and Speed Racers (From FilmExperience. 16 March 2014, 2:25 PM, PDT)
- 5 Things to Know About the Masterminds Behind Frozen's 'Let It Go' (From PEOPLE.com. 16 March 2014, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: 'Peabody and Sherman' pull ahead of '300' while 'Need for Speed' stalls (From Hitfix. 16 March 2014, 12:31 PM, PDT)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
- New trailer for Disney's Maleficent (From Flickeringmyth. 16 March 2014, 3:26 PM, PDT)
- Much More "Maleficent" (From SneakPeek. 16 March 2014, 12:52 PM, PDT)
- Maleficent - Official "Legacy" Trailer #3 (From ComicBookMovie. 16 March 2014, 9:28 AM, PDT)