Who’s afraid of 12 Years a Slave?
Not audiences — strong ticket sales at the box office have proven that. However, despite some passionate fans, many Academy voters have privately confessed to being intimidated by the drama, mostly because reviews have hyped the violence as extreme and relentless. Searing? Yes. Punishing for the audience? No more than, say, Saving Private Ryan or any other honest war picture.
In our latest issue, Entertainment Weekly named director Steve McQueen one of the Entertainers of the Year. That’s not a title one would obviously bestow on the soft-spoken British filmmaker, but “entertainment” means more than escapism. »
- Anthony Breznican
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Jeb Bush, Gop Candidates Launch War Mongering, Anti-isis Ads (video) (From TheImproper.com. 26 November 2015, 8:43 AM, PST)
- Sasha & Malia Obama Offer Up Thanksgiving Outfit Inspiration at the Presidential Turkey Pardon (From E! Online. 25 November 2015, 3:03 PM, PST)
- Candace Cameron Bure Compares Obama’s View Of Isis To Guy On Titanic Saying “Stay Calm” As It Sinks (Video) (From GossipCop. 25 November 2015, 1:35 PM, PST)
Jennifer Lawrence (III)
- Carey Mulligan On Sexism, Feminism, Pay Gaps and Jennifer Lawrence (From Vulture. 29 November 2015, 10:13 AM, PST)
- Watch: Jennifer Lawrence Is Ready To Change Her Life In TV Spots For 'Joy' Plus New Images (From The Playlist. 29 November 2015, 10:03 AM, PST)
- 'Joy' debuts to strong Oscar buzz for Jennifer Lawrence and David O. Russell (From Gold Derby. 29 November 2015, 4:26 AM, PST)
"Breaking Bad" (2008)
- Jessica Jones: shattering exploration of rape, addiction and control (From The Guardian - TV News. 27 November 2015, 10:01 AM, PST)
- Bryan Cranston Tears Up Remembering Jane’s Death In ‘Breaking Bad’ On ‘Inside The Actor’s Studio’ (From Uinterview. 27 November 2015, 7:48 AM, PST)
- 2015 Amazon Black Friday Sales Items (Updated) (From Dark Horizons. 26 November 2015, 2:27 PM, PST)