Lee’s reboot of director Chan-wook Park’s South Korean revenge thriller of the same name, surrounded by bad buzz, is getting clobbered at the Thanksgiving box office. Playing in merely 583 locations, “Oldboy” could earn just $2 million for the five-day weekend in what’s shaping up to be one of the worst performances of the year.
Enthusiastic fans of the original had been waiting to see how the auteur would put his stamp on the cult sensation, released in 2003, but the movie’s distributor (Film District) doesn’t appear to have plans for an expansion.
The film’s current per-screen average of over $3,000 is one of the worst counts since DreamWorks’ “The Fifth Estate” and Universal’s “R.I.P.D.”
Unlike with other Thanksgiving movies, “Oldboy’s” marketing and TV campaign has been all but invisible in recent weeks »
- Maane Khatchatourian
Similar News ItemsJosh Brolin
- Giveaway – Win A T-Shirt And Soundtrack From Hail, Caesar! (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 12 February 2016, 9:44 AM, PST)
- George Clooney’s ‘Suburbicon’ Nears Deals with Paramount (From Variety - Film News. 12 February 2016, 8:11 AM, PST)
- Berlin 2016: Hail, Caesar! review (From CineVue. 12 February 2016, 6:33 AM, PST)
Focus Features [us]
- Berlin Competition title 'Alone In Berlin' secures UK deal (From ScreenDaily. 11 February 2016, 9:00 PM, PST)
- Diane Ladd Blasts Studios’ ‘Greed and Corruption’ for Pushing Leading Roles as Supporting (From Variety - Film News. 11 February 2016, 1:29 PM, PST)
- NBC to Air Jesse Owens Documentary on Sunday (From Variety - TV News. 11 February 2016, 3:00 AM, PST)
- Katie Holmes Talks Supporting First-Time Directors at ‘Touched With Fire’ Premiere (From Variety - Film News. 11 February 2016, 2:11 PM, PST)
- Recommended New Books on Filmmaking: ‘The Force Awakens,’ Spike Lee, ‘Alien,’ Pixar, and More (From The Film Stage. 11 February 2016, 11:28 AM, PST)
- Watch: Exclusive 'Aloys' Trailer is a Charlie Kaufman-Inspired Mind-Bender (From Indiewire. 9 February 2016, 12:45 PM, PST)