Lee’s reboot of director Chan-wook Park’s South Korean revenge thriller of the same name, surrounded by bad buzz, is getting clobbered at the Thanksgiving box office. Playing in merely 583 locations, “Oldboy” could earn just $2 million for the five-day weekend in what’s shaping up to be one of the worst performances of the year.
Enthusiastic fans of the original had been waiting to see how the auteur would put his stamp on the cult sensation, released in 2003, but the movie’s distributor (Film District) doesn’t appear to have plans for an expansion.
The film’s current per-screen average of over $3,000 is one of the worst counts since DreamWorks’ “The Fifth Estate” and Universal’s “R.I.P.D.”
Unlike with other Thanksgiving movies, “Oldboy’s” marketing and TV campaign has been all but invisible in recent weeks »
- Maane Khatchatourian
Similar News ItemsJosh Brolin
- Check out Hot Toys 1/6th scale Iron Man Mark Xlv collectible figurine (From Flickeringmyth. 23 May 2015, 1:45 AM, PDT)
- Blunt, Brolin and Del Toro Shine in 'Sicario' Clip (From Rope Of Silicon. 22 May 2015, 3:12 PM, PDT)
- Sicario: Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro Recruit Emily Blunt in First Clip (From Collider.com. 22 May 2015, 12:06 PM, PDT)
Focus Features [us]
- A Very Murray Christmas Trailer Features a Sad, Antlered Bill Murray (From Collider.com. 22 May 2015, 7:52 AM, PDT)
- Focus Features Revives Gramercy Label: Now It's Indie Genre Films (From Indiewire. 20 May 2015, 1:56 PM, PDT)
- Focus Revives Gramercy Pictures for Genre, Launches with ‘Insidious 3′ (From Variety - Film News. 20 May 2015, 1:33 PM, PDT)
- TMZ Live: Duggar Family Scandal: Mama June Threatens to Sue! (From TMZ. 22 May 2015, 9:45 AM, PDT)
- Round-Up: Da Sweet Blood Of Jesus Blu-ray, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre T-shirt, The Man In The Shadows (From DailyDead. 22 May 2015, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- Tomorrowland or George Clooney Pouts for 2 Hours and 10 Minutes (From CultureCatch. 22 May 2015, 5:05 AM, PDT)