Since their inception 23 years ago, Ifp’s Gotham Independent Film Awards have experienced their share of growing pains and gains. For years, the low-key kudofest, which takes place at the outset of awards season, was truly independent and unconcerned about their impact on the Academy Awards.
In 2005, categories for Best Film Not Playing at a Theater Near You and ensemble were added to the Gothams’ parade of accolades, designed to celebrate films and performances overlooked by Oscar. But this year, those categories have been scrapped and replaced with more traditional actor and actress kudos.
According to Ifp exec director Joana Vicente and senior director of programming Milton Tabbot, the redesign wasn’t meant to align with the Oscars. Instead a “changing distribution landscape” and difficulty meeting the ensemble category criteria led to a shift toward standard awards honoring five thesps per gender.
“Independent film is where a lot of amazing actors get great, »
- Addie Morfoot
Similar News ItemsCate Blanchett
- David Fincher to be Featured in BAFTA’s ‘A Life in Pictures’ (From Variety - Film News. 27 August 2014, 12:48 PM, PDT)
- BAFTA to host David Fincher event (From ScreenDaily. 27 August 2014, 2:50 AM, PDT)
- Jack Reynor Joins The Cast Of Jungle Book: Origins (From TheMovieBit. 25 August 2014, 2:56 AM, PDT)
- X-men: Days Of Future Past: Futuristic Sentinels Concept Art (From ComicBookMovie. 27 August 2014, 9:45 PM, PDT)
- Casting Net: Billy Crudup in talks for Catholic Church drama 'Spotlight' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 27 August 2014, 4:53 PM, PDT)
- Max Minghella and Callum Keith Rennie Join ‘Into the Forest’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 27 August 2014, 11:32 AM, PDT)
- Toronto plans acquisitions push (From ScreenDaily. 22 August 2014, 10:37 PM, PDT)
- ‘Love Is Strange’ tells the wrong story (From SoundOnSight. 22 August 2014, 12:05 AM, PDT)
- Paramount takes select home ent on Boyhood (From ScreenDaily. 21 August 2014, 3:13 PM, PDT)