Since their inception 23 years ago, Ifp’s Gotham Independent Film Awards have experienced their share of growing pains and gains. For years, the low-key kudofest, which takes place at the outset of awards season, was truly independent and unconcerned about their impact on the Academy Awards.
In 2005, categories for Best Film Not Playing at a Theater Near You and ensemble were added to the Gothams’ parade of accolades, designed to celebrate films and performances overlooked by Oscar. But this year, those categories have been scrapped and replaced with more traditional actor and actress kudos.
According to Ifp exec director Joana Vicente and senior director of programming Milton Tabbot, the redesign wasn’t meant to align with the Oscars. Instead a “changing distribution landscape” and difficulty meeting the ensemble category criteria led to a shift toward standard awards honoring five thesps per gender.
“Independent film is where a lot of amazing actors get great, »
- Addie Morfoot
Similar News ItemsCate Blanchett
- 2016 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (From Indiewire. 25 November 2015, 1:27 PM, PST)
- Independent Spirit Awards: Read and Watch All Our Interviews with This Year's Nominees (From Thompson on Hollywood. 25 November 2015, 9:37 AM, PST)
- ‘Creed’: Can Stallone Make History? (From Scott Feinberg. 25 November 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- His & Hers Oscars? Happy 10th to June & Johnny (From FilmExperience. 20 November 2015, 10:16 AM, PST)
- ‘Motley’s Law’ & ‘Class Divide’ Score Grand Jury Nods At Doc NYC (From Deadline. 19 November 2015, 5:30 PM, PST)
- 'Motley's Law' and 'Class Divide' Win Doc NYC Grand Jury Prizes (From Indiewire. 19 November 2015, 5:30 PM, PST)
- 2016 Sundance Film Festival Predictions: Sian Heder’s Tallulah (From ioncinema. 25 November 2015, 2:15 PM, PST)
- Beyond: Two Souls And Heavy Rain Are Coming To PlayStation 4 (From We Got This Covered. 20 November 2015, 9:24 AM, PST)
- Front Row scores 20 titles at Afm (From ScreenDaily. 13 November 2015, 7:30 AM, PST)