If the Golden Globes earned their spurs as a bellwether for the Oscars, thanks to the vagaries of the calendar, the relationship between the January ceremony and TV has potentially become equally intriguing.
While the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. hasn’t been quite so reliably on the same page as the Motion Picture Academy in recent years, the ability of Globes voters to weigh in on new programs eight months in advance of the Emmys has allowed them to pounce more quickly — in a “what’s hot?” manner well suited to our caffeinated culture — on series, which are especially eager for such validation.
Granted, part of that has to do with a tendency within the HFPA — despite its reputation for skewing older than just about any group except perhaps the Fox News audience — to be drawn to that which is shiny and new.
In the past 11 years, the Globes have »
- Brian Lowry
Similar News Items"Desperate Housewives" (2004)
- 20 Mind-Blowing X-Files Facts You Didn’t Know (From Obsessed with Film. 27 January 2015, 6:28 AM, PST)
- Tony Todd & Danny Trejo Want to Kidnap You & Vanish (From Destroy the Brain. 26 January 2015, 8:13 AM, PST)
- Dutch rebate driving up production (From ScreenDaily. 24 January 2015, 2:45 AM, PST)
Fox News [us]
- Roger Moore on best Bond: 'I rank myself behind George Lazenby' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 January 2015, 11:06 AM, PST)
- Jon Stewart Preps for Winter Storm Juno: ‘If You Are Watching This Program, New York Is Gone’ (Video) (From The Wrap. 27 January 2015, 8:43 AM, PST)
- Me-First Media Put NYC First in Storm Coverage, with Boston a Mere Afterthought (From Mediaite - TV. 27 January 2015, 8:27 AM, PST)
"Ugly Betty" (2006)
- Salma Hayek, 48, Kicks Ass in a Bra and Underwear in Everly Trailer—See Her Killer Figure! (From E! Online. 27 January 2015, 3:16 PM, PST)
- Pilot News: CBS Orders Rush Hour Drama — Plus: Super Clyde Lives! (From TVLine.com. 26 January 2015, 8:00 PM, PST)
- Amazon, Electus Plan Pilot Based On Life Of Casanova (From Tubefilter News. 26 January 2015, 2:57 PM, PST)