Doctor Who's 50th anniversary episode 'The Day of the Doctor' has proven to be a box office hit at UK cinemas.
The episode, which saw Matt Smith and David Tennant unite for a worldwide 3D simulcast across more then 1,500 theatres on Saturday (November 23), earned more than £1.7 million ($2.9 million) from its 450 locations on the day.
'The Day of the Doctor' also earned £126,133 ($204,000) from Us screenings and also performed well in Germany with £196,000 in cinema takings.
The Doctor Who special falls under the Event Cinema category for media measurement firm Rentrak, comprised of live opera, sports, concerts and other alternative broadcasts that don't play in cinemas seven days a week.
Event Cinema accounts for £20 million a year in box office receipts, according to Rentrak.
Similar News ItemsJennifer Lawrence (III)
- Casting Bits: Jennifer Lawrence Gets Jazzy, Leonardo DiCaprio Rocks & Chris Pine Is Lost In Time (From Slash Film. 23 October 2016, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Chris Pratt Set to Romance Real-Life Wife Anna Faris With ‘Mom’ Guest Role (From Indiewire. 22 October 2016, 2:46 PM, PDT)
- Chris Pratt Set to Romance Real-Life Wife Anna Faris With ‘Mom’ Guest Role (From Indiewire Television. 22 October 2016, 2:46 PM, PDT)
The Hunger Games (2012)
- Jennifer Lawrence set for Zelda Fitzgerald biopic with Ron Howard (From Flickeringmyth. 22 October 2016, 12:20 PM, PDT)
- 10 Franchises That Ended On A Massive Cliffhanger (From We Got This Covered. 22 October 2016, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Jennifer Lawrence and Ron Howard Team for Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic (From MovieWeb. 21 October 2016, 4:46 PM, PDT)
- Double Threat Zuher Khan - On the Fast Track to Filmmaking and Acting Success (From Screen Anarchy. 20 October 2016, 6:56 AM, PDT)
- A Handy Guide to the Best Halloween Episodes From Your Childhood (From E! Online. 19 October 2016, 3:03 PM, PDT)
- 18 People Share What It Was Like to Meet These Huge Celebs in Real Life (From PEOPLE.com. 19 October 2016, 10:05 AM, PDT)