Spanish arthouse distributor-exhibitor Golem Cinemas has won the Best Entrepreneur of the year nod awarded during their annual confab by the EU-backed Europa Cinemas network of exhibitors which support European pics.
The Europa Cinemas confab, held Nov. 21-24 in Athens, also picked Pawel Pawlikowski’s pluriprized “Ida” for the Euro exhibs’ “Coup de Coeur” prize.
Golem Cinemas, which is based in Madrid and the northern city of Pamplona, owns 35 screens at seven movie theatres, ranging from upscale multiplexes to its flagship Alphaville arthouse in central Madrid.
Despite Spain’s economic woes, the company, co-headed by Josetxo Moreno and Pedro Zaratiegui, has been dogged in its determination to persevere, actually increasing its acquisitions, as a risk-spreading strategy, rather than cutting back. Golem’s current lineup includes high-profile Euro-produced pics including Asghar Farhadi’s “The Past,” Bertrand Tavernier’s “Quai d’Orsay,” and Michael Haneke docu-feature “Michael H. Profession: Director.”
The Kino Artis loop in Talinn, »
- Nick Vivarelli
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- Ones Below begins shoot with Poesy, Morrissey (From ScreenDaily. 30 September 2014, 3:16 AM, PDT)
- Ones Below begins shoot with Poesy, Morrisey (From ScreenDaily. 30 September 2014, 3:16 AM, PDT)
- The Ones Below kicks off with Poesy, Morrisey (From ScreenDaily. 30 September 2014, 3:16 AM, PDT)
- Top Iranian Film Directors Launch Internet Campaign Pleading For Nuclear Deal (From Variety - Film News. 1 October 2014, 5:21 AM, PDT)
- UTA signs Tahar Rahim (From ScreenDaily. 30 September 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Past’ Star Tahar Rahim Signs With UTA (From The Hollywood Reporter. 30 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Almodóvar @ 65 (t) (From Fandor: Keyframe (t). 24 September 2014, 2:02 AM, PDT)
- Daily | Almodóvar @ 65 (From Keyframe. 24 September 2014, 2:02 AM, PDT)
- The art of adaptation by Anne-Katrin Titze (From eyeforfilm.co.uk. 14 September 2014, 8:46 AM, PDT)