Spanish arthouse distributor-exhibitor Golem Cinemas has won the Best Entrepreneur of the year nod awarded during their annual confab by the EU-backed Europa Cinemas network of exhibitors which support European pics.
The Europa Cinemas confab, held Nov. 21-24 in Athens, also picked Pawel Pawlikowski’s pluriprized “Ida” for the Euro exhibs’ “Coup de Coeur” prize.
Golem Cinemas, which is based in Madrid and the northern city of Pamplona, owns 35 screens at seven movie theatres, ranging from upscale multiplexes to its flagship Alphaville arthouse in central Madrid.
Despite Spain’s economic woes, the company, co-headed by Josetxo Moreno and Pedro Zaratiegui, has been dogged in its determination to persevere, actually increasing its acquisitions, as a risk-spreading strategy, rather than cutting back. Golem’s current lineup includes high-profile Euro-produced pics including Asghar Farhadi’s “The Past,” Bertrand Tavernier’s “Quai d’Orsay,” and Michael Haneke docu-feature “Michael H. Profession: Director.”
The Kino Artis loop in Talinn, »
- Nick Vivarelli
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- Security and Netflix row dominate Cannes 2017 (From ScreenDaily. 23 May 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Rodin’ Cannes Review: It’s Got Art and Sex, But Where’s the Passion? (From The Wrap. 23 May 2017, 4:56 PM, PDT)
- Movies Are Changing, and We’ve Seen Their Future at Cannes 2017 — Analysis (From Indiewire. 23 May 2017, 1:18 PM, PDT)
- ’24 Frames’ Cannes Review: Abbas Kiarostami’s Final Film Is a Wry, Touching Farewell (From The Wrap. 23 May 2017, 5:07 AM, PDT)
- Memento Clinches Raft of Pre-Sales on Catherine Deneuve Starrer ‘Claire Darling’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 21 May 2017, 9:35 PM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Walking Past the Future’ (From Variety - Film News. 21 May 2017, 7:52 AM, PDT)
- Polish Filmmakers Look Abroad for Co-Production Partners (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Promise of Polish Production Rebates Boosts Local Entertainment Sector (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Cannes Talk: Mike Goodridge, Protagonist Pictures (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 11:09 AM, PDT)