Spanish arthouse distributor-exhibitor Golem Cinemas has won the Best Entrepreneur of the year nod awarded during their annual confab by the EU-backed Europa Cinemas network of exhibitors which support European pics.
The Europa Cinemas confab, held Nov. 21-24 in Athens, also picked Pawel Pawlikowski’s pluriprized “Ida” for the Euro exhibs’ “Coup de Coeur” prize.
Golem Cinemas, which is based in Madrid and the northern city of Pamplona, owns 35 screens at seven movie theatres, ranging from upscale multiplexes to its flagship Alphaville arthouse in central Madrid.
Despite Spain’s economic woes, the company, co-headed by Josetxo Moreno and Pedro Zaratiegui, has been dogged in its determination to persevere, actually increasing its acquisitions, as a risk-spreading strategy, rather than cutting back. Golem’s current lineup includes high-profile Euro-produced pics including Asghar Farhadi’s “The Past,” Bertrand Tavernier’s “Quai d’Orsay,” and Michael Haneke docu-feature “Michael H. Profession: Director.”
The Kino Artis loop in Talinn, »
- Nick Vivarelli
Similar News ItemsMichael Haneke
- To Begin With... (From MUBI. 6 July 2015, 6:46 AM, PDT)
- Listen: 37-Minute Talk With Michael Haneke & Darren Aronofsky (From The Playlist. 26 June 2015, 1:38 PM, PDT)
- Future Frames Makes Debut at Karlovy Vary With 10 Shorts (From Variety - Film News. 26 June 2015, 10:08 AM, PDT)
- New Projects: ‘The Birds’, ‘Monopoly’, and ‘Ashley’s War’ (From SoundOnSight. 2 July 2015, 8:31 AM, PDT)
- A Cannes Opener: 2016 Cannes Film Festival Predictions (From ioncinema. 29 June 2015, 9:30 AM, PDT)
- Pedro Almodovar To Produce Spanish-Language Film From ‘A Separation’ Director Asghar Farhadi (From The Playlist. 29 June 2015, 8:24 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘The Violators’ (From Variety - Film News. 4 July 2015, 5:36 AM, PDT)
- Motovun fest plans French, Danish focuses (From ScreenDaily. 3 July 2015, 6:20 AM, PDT)
- Say What You Will About the Academy - But Some Cool International Names Among 2015 New Member Invitees (From Alt Film Guide. 30 June 2015, 6:47 PM, PDT)