Oliver Davis counts down the best ever casino films...
5. Ocean’s Eleven
It’s got more stars than a sky-gazing evening with Brian Cox, Ocean’s Eleven was a dream team-up movie with as-yet-unmatched ‘name’ power.
George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts…even Bernie Mac, the 2001 remake even surpassed Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.’s original. Flashy, Soderbergh-slick and with a twisting Las Vegas casino heist climax, Ocean’s Eleven was successful enough to spawn two sequels…which makes the current Ocean’s count around 36.
At the Casino Royale, James Bond (Daniel Craig) is up against Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen) in a high-stakes game of poker. It’s so tense, the bad guy cries blood. Which is how all villains should weep.
The casino setting is a Bond movie staple, so it’s a smart convention to embrace for Craig’s first outing as the character. »
- Gary Collinson
Similar News ItemsBrad Pitt
- The 17 Best Disaster Movies on Netflix Right Now (From Moviefone. 30 May 2015, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- Graham Moore and Marc Forster’s Outbreak Drama Gets Series Order at NBC (From Collider.com. 28 May 2015, 3:16 PM, PDT)
- ‘Fight Club’s’ Chuck Palahniuk on ‘Larger, More Epic’ Comic Book Sequel and David Fincher Musical (From The Wrap. 27 May 2015, 5:20 PM, PDT)
- Grandmas Play Hilarious Game Of ‘F–k, Marry, Kill’ In New Viral Video (From Uinterview. 1 June 2015, 7:42 PM, PDT)
- Grandmas Play "F--k, Marry, Kill" and Are Brutally Honest About Their Choices (From E! Online. 1 June 2015, 2:31 PM, PDT)
- ‘San Andreas’ Rocks With $63.9M In Overseas Bow; ‘Tomorrowland’ Up $31M+ – Intl B.O. Final (From Deadline. 1 June 2015, 12:44 PM, PDT)
- James Ponsoldt set to write, direct ‘West of Sunset’ about F. Scott Fitzgerald (From SoundOnSight. 1 June 2015, 5:42 PM, PDT)
- ‘San Andreas’ Set to Rock Box Office with $47 Million Debut, ‘Aloha’ Left in the Dust (From Variety - Film News. 30 May 2015, 8:13 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’ Goes to TV (From Slash Film. 29 May 2015, 3:30 PM, PDT)