By Mark Pinkert
This is the second article in a three-part series.
Earlier this month, the acclaimed writer/producer/director Joss Whedon spoke at an Equality Now benefit dinner and suggested that the word “feminism” be removed from the English lexicon. According to Mr. Whedon, the word is problematic because it assumes that gender equality is not the “natural state” but something that needs to be achieved. Though several self-purported feminist bloggers have criticized this idea, Whedon’s speech does raise some interesting questions about how prejudice can hide away in the depths of language and rhetoric.
Thankfully, we have reached a point where shouting sexist comments is socially unacceptable and utterly disgraceful; anyone who does becomes ostracized by civil people. But that does not mean gender prejudices have been cured. The most corrosive type of sexism, and the one Whedon was getting at, is the kind embedded in words and institutions, »
- Mark Pinkert
Similar News ItemsJoss Whedon
- Marvel’S The Defenders: Showrunner On Uniting The Four With A “Street-Level Crisis” (Photos) (From LRM Online. 13 January 2017, 2:40 PM, PST)
- Peter Dinklage Eyed for a Key Role in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 11 January 2017, 3:31 PM, PST)
- Infinity War and Avengers 4 Have a Combined Budget of $500M (From MovieWeb. 10 January 2017, 10:09 AM, PST)
- Final Oscar Predictions: 5 Lingering Questions With Nominations On the Way (From Variety - Film News. 18 January 2017, 5:15 PM, PST)
- Trump Voters Beg Him: Stop Tweeting (From The Wrap. 18 January 2017, 3:55 PM, PST)
- Octavia Spencer Named Harvard’s Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year (From PEOPLE.com. 18 January 2017, 10:34 AM, PST)
Helen Mirren (I)
- 46 Days Until "Feud" (From FilmExperience. 18 January 2017, 11:33 AM, PST)
- Best Actress Conundrum – Blunt, Bening, Huppert, or Negga or Henson for Fifth Slot (From AwardsDaily. 18 January 2017, 11:01 AM, PST)
- Anheuser-Busch Says Super Bowl Beer Ads Will Get Back to Basics (From Variety - TV News. 18 January 2017, 4:45 AM, PST)