By Mark Pinkert
This is the second article in a three-part series.
Earlier this month, the acclaimed writer/producer/director Joss Whedon spoke at an Equality Now benefit dinner and suggested that the word “feminism” be removed from the English lexicon. According to Mr. Whedon, the word is problematic because it assumes that gender equality is not the “natural state” but something that needs to be achieved. Though several self-purported feminist bloggers have criticized this idea, Whedon’s speech does raise some interesting questions about how prejudice can hide away in the depths of language and rhetoric.
Thankfully, we have reached a point where shouting sexist comments is socially unacceptable and utterly disgraceful; anyone who does becomes ostracized by civil people. But that does not mean gender prejudices have been cured. The most corrosive type of sexism, and the one Whedon was getting at, is the kind embedded in words and institutions, »
- Mark Pinkert
Similar News ItemsJoss Whedon
- Comic-Con 2015: 10 Must-See Panels (From Collider.com. 3 July 2015, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- Early Ultron concept art for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron (From Flickeringmyth. 3 July 2015, 3:36 AM, PDT)
- Firefly, Ep. 1.04: “Shindig”: Like sheep walking on their hind legs (From SoundOnSight. 1 July 2015, 9:47 PM, PDT)
- Classic Hollywood 'Profiles' Online (From Thompson on Hollywood. 3 July 2015, 2:23 PM, PDT)
- Watch Meryl Streep in new trailer for Diablo Cody's Ricki and the Flash (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 3 July 2015, 12:25 PM, PDT)
- Jackson Returns! Two-Time Oscar Winner and Former Labour MP to Star in Zola Adaptation (From Alt Film Guide. 2 July 2015, 4:06 PM, PDT)
- News Bits: Rogue, Furious, Ant-Man, Eight, Four (From Dark Horizons. 26 June 2015, 8:32 PM, PDT)
- Film Rights to Michael Crichton’s Micro Acquired by DreamWorks Studios (From DailyDead. 26 June 2015, 3:17 PM, PDT)
- Vin Diesel Wants Helen Mirren In The Fast & Furious Family (From Cinema Blend. 26 June 2015, 12:46 PM, PDT)