Hard to believe, but there was a time before "The Twilight Saga." Five long years ago, Stephenie Meyer's books were best-sellers, but most people didn't know about her sparkly romantic vampires. "Kellan Lutz" and "Jackson Rathbone" were not household names. And Kristen Stewart was still best known for playing Jodie Foster's asthmatic little girl in "Panic Room."
All that changed five years ago this week, on November 21, 2008, with the debut of "Twilight." The vampire romance made instant A-listers out of Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner. It went on to earn about $400 million worldwide and spawn four similarly huge sequels (total worldwide gross: $3.3 billion). It put independent studio Summit on the map (where it was eventually gobbled up by Lionsgate) and launched a vogue that continues to this day for fantasy movies that appeal to teenage girls (notably, the "Hunger Games" franchise).
With its large supporting cast of vampires, »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsRobert Pattinson
- Exclusive: Why Guy Pearce ignored the dystopia of David Michôd's 'The Rover' (From Hitfix. 19 September 2014, 10:17 AM, PDT)
- Video On Demand: Five Great New Releases You Can Now Watch (From SoundOnSight. 15 September 2014, 7:55 PM, PDT)
- David Cronenberg's Maps To The Stars has a Trailer (From GeekTyrant. 12 September 2014, 1:30 PM, PDT)
Kristen Stewart (I)
- Critical Mass: Can 'The Maze Runner' find a way out of the Ya wilderness? (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 19 September 2014, 4:15 PM, PDT)
- Still Alice | 2014 Tiff Review (From ioncinema. 19 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Why Tobey Maguire Thinks There’s a Lack of Young Male Movie Stars (From Vulture. 16 September 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Pharrell is part Yoda and five other tidbits about 'The Voice' (From EW.com - Inside TV. 18 September 2014, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- 15 Young Adult Novels Turned Into Movies (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 16 September 2014, 10:43 AM, PDT)
- 'American Heist' Starring Adrien Brody Heads to Saban (From MovieWeb. 12 September 2014, 9:47 AM, PDT)