For some reason, there was a period in comedy history where the pinnacle of a stand-up comedian’s career was getting his or her own sitcom. You had your Seinfelds and your Roseannes and your Raymonds and everybody loved them. The medium, at the time, seemed like the most appropriate translation of a comedy act into a television show, allowing for the observational humor of many of these performers to be played out in situational scenes before a live studio audience.
The stand-up sitcom is not so much in vogue anymore. Part of this is due to the waning aesthetic quality of in-studio or canned audience laughter of the multi-cam sitcom, with many of the more popular comedies opting for the single-camera, non-laugh track style. Part of it could also be that Louis Ck has ended the competition with his superb and groundbreaking series, Louie, which translates stand-up into visual »
- Darren Ruecker
Similar News ItemsLouis C.K.
- Louis C.K. and Albert Brooks get animated for The Cops (From Flickeringmyth. 17 January 2017, 11:49 AM, PST)
- Louis Ck doing animated show The Cops with Simpsons writer Greg Daniels (From JoBlo. 17 January 2017, 11:01 AM, PST)
- ‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — Ryan Reynolds (‘Deadpool’) (From Scott Feinberg. 17 January 2017, 5:00 AM, PST)
- Jerry Lewis Destroys Reporter in the Best Interview of 2016 (From MovieWeb. 22 December 2016, 8:02 AM, PST)
- Alex Rich Joins ‘Glow’; ‘Animal Kingdom’ Adds Jennifer Landon (From Deadline TV. 16 December 2016, 5:15 PM, PST)
- Chris Lowell Set To Recur On Netflix’s ‘Glow’ (From Deadline TV. 16 December 2016, 12:31 PM, PST)
- Louis C.K.-Albert Brooks Animated Comedy The Cops Ordered at TBS (From TVLine.com. 14 January 2017, 12:21 PM, PST)
- ‘American Crime Story,’ ‘Atlanta’ Delays: Why FX Hits Sometimes Go On Long Hiatuses (From Indiewire. 12 January 2017, 10:46 AM, PST)
- ‘American Crime Story,’ ‘Atlanta’ Delays: Why FX Hits Sometimes Go On Long Hiatuses (From Indiewire Television. 12 January 2017, 10:46 AM, PST)