Latin American filmmakers are an emerging global force, riding on a wave of genre films. So much so that Latin America’s biggest movie market, Ventana Sur, which means Southern Window, has launched Blood Window, a slice of the mart dedicated to horror.
More widely available digital distribution systems, whether set-top boxes or game consoles or even mobile phones streaming content, have created a demand for youth-skewing genre pics in Europe, Asia and especially the United States.
“Ironically, it’s easier to find interest abroad when producing genre films than here in Argentina,” says scribe-helmer Ramiro Garcia Bogliano.
Javier Fernandez at Buenos Aires’ Incaa, which co-organizes Ventana Sur with the Cannes Festival’s Film Market, likens the rise in Latin American genre to what happened in South Korea a little more than a decade ago, and more recently Spain.
Some highlights of the surge:
Argentina’s Andy Muschietti (“Mama”) and »
- John Hopewell
Similar News ItemsEli Roth
- Scare Eli Roth with Your #6SecondScare Vine! (From ShockYa. 17 October 2014, 12:33 PM, PDT)
- 15 Outlandish New-But-Familiar-Sounding TV Pilots (From Moviefone. 17 October 2014, 5:45 AM, PDT)
- Eli Roth’s The Crypt Launches 666, The Six Second Contest (From ShockYa. 16 October 2014, 1:05 PM, PDT)
"Full House" (1987)
- 'Scandal' appears to have moved past its dependence on cliffhangers (From Hitfix. 17 October 2014, 7:23 PM, PDT)
- Ryan Higa, Golden Rap About Wanting A Good Girl In ‘S.W.G.’ Video (From Tubefilter News. 17 October 2014, 8:36 AM, PDT)
- 'Full House' Creator Lists $30M Home: "If You Can't Get Laid in That Bedroom, There's Something Wrong With You" (From The Hollywood Reporter. 16 October 2014, 6:46 PM, PDT)
- 15 Horror Franchises that Helped Define the Face of the Genre (From Dread Central. 27 August 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- Ten of the Most Unforgiving Horror Movies (From HeyUGuys. 26 August 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- It Looks like Evil Dead 2 Is Dead (From GeekTyrant. 11 August 2014, 12:30 PM, PDT)