There's a menswear store on a quaint cobblestone street in my suburban New Jersey town whose Christmas window display each year includes a lamp shaped like a woman's leg in a fishnet stocking. That no one thinks this is tacky or even unusual is a tribute to how remarkably pervasive "A Christmas Story" has become over the past three decades.
At the time of its release 30 years ago this week (November 18, 1983), the movie was a cult favorite at best. Since then, however, it's become the indispensable Christmas movie for a couple of generations of viewers, as essential a holiday staple as "It's a Wonderful Life." Tens of millions are expected to watch at least some part of the film when it airs 12 times in a row during the annual TBS "24 Hours of 'A Christmas Story'" marathon on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
How did the movie go from »
- Gary Susman
Similar News ItemsWarner Home Video [us]
- Contest: Win Paul Thomas Anderson’s Inherent Vice on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital (3 Winners) (From TheHDRoom. 20 April 2015, 8:01 PM, PDT)
- Contest: Win Batman vs Robin on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD (From TheHDRoom. 15 April 2015, 9:45 PM, PDT)
- 'Vanilla Sky' Blu-ray Coming in June with Alternate Ending (From Rope Of Silicon. 6 April 2015, 10:41 AM, PDT)
A Christmas Story (1983)
- Icons of Fright Interview With Everly Director Joe Lynch and Actress Jennifer Blanc (From Icons of Fright. 25 April 2015, 3:51 PM, PDT)
- Exclusive: Interview with 'Bethany' Director James Cullen Bressack and special guest Zack Ward (From MoreHorror. 11 April 2015, 1:23 AM, PDT)
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' House Struck by Arsonist (From MovieWeb. 7 January 2015, 6:36 AM, PST)
Ted Turner (I)
- John Oliver updates CNN's insane doomsday video (From Hitfix. 20 April 2015, 8:50 AM, PDT)
- John Oliver Crushes CNN’s Doomsday Clip With Martin Sheen’s Version (Video) (From The Wrap. 20 April 2015, 8:01 AM, PDT)
- John Oliver Makes New Doomsday Video For CNN (From Deadline TV. 20 April 2015, 5:59 AM, PDT)