While the story’s lesson illustrates the power of the written word, the sentiment behind it defines the philosophy of one of Hollywood’s most successful executives, Elizabeth Gabler, president of Fox 2000.
“I believe in the power of writing and telling stories,” Gabler tells Variety.
In an era when the Hollywood majors are obsessed with producing prequels, sequels and comicbook adaptations, Gabler has, for the past 14 years, run the only studio division that’s largely devoted to bringing popular and often challenging literary properties such as “Life of Pi,” “The Devil Wears Prada” and “Water for Elephants” to the bigscreen. “The Book Thief,” which opened Nov. 8 in limited release, and will expand its run in the coming weeks, is Gabler’s latest test. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsRidley Scott
- Brad Pitt in Thelma and Louise: Inside the Making of One of Hollywood’s Steamiest Sex Scenes (From PEOPLE.com. 27 June 2017, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Ridley Scott’s ‘All the Money in the World’ Sold to Lucky Red for Italy (From Variety - Film News. 26 June 2017, 8:07 AM, PDT)
- Watch Now: New trailer for Albert Pyun’s ‘Interstellar Civil War’ (From Blogomatic3000. 26 June 2017, 5:31 AM, PDT)
- The Unbearable Rightness of Daniel Day-Lewis Retiring (Even if He Doesn’t Keep to It) (From Variety - Film News. 25 June 2017, 9:32 AM, PDT)
- Why Tilda Swinton is the World’s Best Actress Right Now (From TVovermind.com. 24 June 2017, 8:00 PM, PDT)
- oh look, it's America's two most beloved actors (From FilmExperience. 24 June 2017, 2:00 PM, PDT)
"Downton Abbey" (2010)
- Wamg Giveaway – Win the Their Finest Blu-ray Starring Gemma Arterton (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 25 June 2017, 11:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Makes Even Less Sense if You’ve Never Seen a ‘Transformers’ Movie Before (From Indiewire. 23 June 2017, 2:25 PM, PDT)
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Movie Gets the Greenlight + More Projects Announced (From Backstage. 23 June 2017, 11:00 AM, PDT)