In January, Valerie Harper was told she had three months to live. Doctors had successfully removed a lung tumor in 2009, but the cancer cells had moved to her brain. Now, 10 months have passed since that diagnosis, and the TV icon is not only alive and well, she’s more active than ever. She participated in this season’s “Dancing With the Stars,” and has a Broadway show, television movie and two series in the works.
“I got a very excellent brain scan report on Oct. 13 that showed that I was continuing to show improvement. God knows why. I was supposed to be dead in March,” Harper quipped.
Having defied the medical odds, the 74-year-old actress is seizing the opportunity to make a difference. November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, and Harper and writer-producer Marta Kauffman are leading the charge to raise funds for research into finding a cure.
Cedars-Sinai Medical »
- Maane Khatchatourian
Similar News Items"Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I)
- ABC 2016-17 Season Ratings (updated 3/26/17) (From TVSeriesFinale. 26 March 2017, 1:13 PM, PDT)
- Bonner Bolton Says He’s ‘100% Single’ Despite Sparks with DWTS Partner Sharna Burgess (From PEOPLE.com. 26 March 2017, 11:11 AM, PDT)
- The Bachelor Turns 15: Who Were the Best and Worst Suitors? Vote! (From TVLine.com. 25 March 2017, 11:40 AM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: The only person ever ousted from the Academy opens up (From The AV Club. 21 February 2017, 1:50 PM, PST)
- Mary Tyler Moore's Husband Speaks Out About Her Death: 'Mary Was My Life, My Light, My Love' (From Entertainment Tonight. 1 February 2017, 2:45 PM, PST)
- Mary Tyler Moore’s Grieving Husband Speaks Out: ‘Oh to See Her Smile Just Once More’ (From PEOPLE.com. 1 February 2017, 5:00 AM, PST)
- Grace and Frankie: Renewed? Season Four Filming Underway for Netflix Series (From TVSeriesFinale. 24 March 2017, 6:13 PM, PDT)
- ‘Grace and Frankie’ Season 3 Review: Lily Tomlin Invents Geriatric Vibrators and the Series Has Never Been Better (From Indiewire Television. 24 March 2017, 10:41 AM, PDT)
- ‘Grace and Frankie’ Season 3 Review: Lily Tomlin Invents Geriatric Vibrators and the Series Has Never Been Better (From Indiewire. 24 March 2017, 10:41 AM, PDT)