In January, Valerie Harper was told she had three months to live. Doctors had successfully removed a lung tumor in 2009, but the cancer cells had moved to her brain. Now, 10 months have passed since that diagnosis, and the TV icon is not only alive and well, she’s more active than ever. She participated in this season’s “Dancing With the Stars,” and has a Broadway show, television movie and two series in the works.
“I got a very excellent brain scan report on Oct. 13 that showed that I was continuing to show improvement. God knows why. I was supposed to be dead in March,” Harper quipped.
Having defied the medical odds, the 74-year-old actress is seizing the opportunity to make a difference. November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, and Harper and writer-producer Marta Kauffman are leading the charge to raise funds for research into finding a cure.
Cedars-Sinai Medical »
- Maane Khatchatourian
Similar News Items"Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I)
- Dancing With the Stars: Meet the Official Cast Members For Season 23 (From BuzzSugar. 30 August 2016, 6:49 AM, PDT)
- Ryan Lochte Says He's Not Sure Whether He Was Robbed, Extorted or Fined During Rio Gunpoint Holdup (From PEOPLE.com. 30 August 2016, 6:35 AM, PDT)
- ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Season 23 Cast Revealed (From The Wrap. 30 August 2016, 6:04 AM, PDT)
- Valerie Harper Reveals She's Doing Great 3 Years After Cancer Diagnosis - Find Out Which Famous Friend Has Helped Her Heal (From PEOPLE.com. 8 June 2016, 12:35 PM, PDT)
- It Came From The Tube: Don’T Go To Sleep (1982) (From DailyDead. 22 May 2016, 12:07 PM, PDT)
- Carol Channing Celebrates 95th Birthday at Star-Studded Tribute Show (From PEOPLE.com. 8 March 2016, 1:40 PM, PST)
- Natalie Portman Signs On For New HBO Series We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (From We Got This Covered. 8 August 2016, 12:22 PM, PDT)
- Natalie Portman to star in Marta Kauffman’s We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves for HBO (From Flickeringmyth. 7 August 2016, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Daily | In the Works | Ponsoldt, Bigelow, Duplasses (From Keyframe. 5 August 2016, 8:58 AM, PDT)