In January, Valerie Harper was told she had three months to live. Doctors had successfully removed a lung tumor in 2009, but the cancer cells had moved to her brain. Now, 10 months have passed since that diagnosis, and the TV icon is not only alive and well, she’s more active than ever. She participated in this season’s “Dancing With the Stars,” and has a Broadway show, television movie and two series in the works.
“I got a very excellent brain scan report on Oct. 13 that showed that I was continuing to show improvement. God knows why. I was supposed to be dead in March,” Harper quipped.
Having defied the medical odds, the 74-year-old actress is seizing the opportunity to make a difference. November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, and Harper and writer-producer Marta Kauffman are leading the charge to raise funds for research into finding a cure.
Cedars-Sinai Medical »
- Maane Khatchatourian
Similar News Items"Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I)
- ABC 2014-15 Season Ratings (updated 5/22/15) (From TVSeriesFinale. 22 May 2015, 1:54 PM, PDT)
- Is The Flash's Ronnie Doomed? Which Superhero Finale Was Best? Hypocrisy on Bachelorette? And More TV Qs (From TVLine.com. 22 May 2015, 10:48 AM, PDT)
- Empire, Big Bang Theory & NCIS Among the 50 Most-Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15 (From TVovermind.com. 22 May 2015, 10:43 AM, PDT)
- Garrett Morris Talks Early Days With ‘Saturday Night Live,’ ‘Bible Salesman’ (From Variety - TV News. 30 March 2015, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- SXSW 2015, The Good: ‘Manglehorn,’ ‘Hello, My Name is Doris,’ ‘Spy,’ ‘Love & Mercy’ and More (From Scorecard Review. 19 March 2015, 7:03 AM, PDT)
- SXSW Film Review: ‘She’s the Best Thing in It’ (From Variety - Film News. 16 March 2015, 3:20 PM, PDT)
- Is 'Grace and Frankie' the Exception That Breaks the New Emmy Rules? (From Indiewire Television. 21 May 2015, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- Is 'Grace and Frankie' the Exception That Breaks the New Emmy Rules? (From Indiewire. 21 May 2015, 7:42 AM, PDT)
- Are Streaming Shows Really That Different From Network and Cable Shows? (From Moviefone. 8 May 2015, 6:01 AM, PDT)