Although there’s no “Pardon Our Dust” sign adorning the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Wilshire Boulevard headquarters, even the casual observer will have noticed that the Academy has spent the past few years engaged in an extensive and seemingly endless home-improvement project.
And nowhere have Oscar’s renovations been more extensive than in the foreign-language film competition, where both the nominating and voting protocols have been extensively overhauled, with more changes possibly in the offing.
The latest and most significant foreign-language rule change, announced in spring and to be implemented this Oscar cycle, abolishes the longstanding requirement that Academy members have to see all five nominated films in a theatrical setting in order to cast ballots in that category. While that rule theoretically created a level playing field among the nominees (which might include a box office behemoth like “Amelie” alongside the relatively unknown Bosnian import “No »
- Scott Foundas
Similar News ItemsJavier Bardem
- Oscar Winning Villain Performances (From Cinelinx. 26 July 2015, 4:55 PM, PDT)
- Watch: 4-Minute Tribute To Alejandro González Iñárritu's Masterful Film Work (From The Playlist. 23 July 2015, 1:47 PM, PDT)
- San Sebastian: ‘Truman,’ ‘Apostate,’ ‘Eva’ Set For Competition (From Variety - Film News. 23 July 2015, 2:32 AM, PDT)
Sony Pictures Classics [us]
- Film Review: Deep Thoughts, Shallow Characters in ‘Irrational Man’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 24 July 2015, 2:36 PM, PDT)
- Sarajevo Film Fest Plucks Cannes Titles, Including Oscar Contender 'Son of Saul' (Trailer) (From Thompson on Hollywood. 23 July 2015, 9:04 AM, PDT)
- Damian Szifron’s ‘Wild Tales’ Sweeps 2nd Platino Awards (From Variety - Film News. 18 July 2015, 3:09 PM, PDT)
- Almodóvar urges Spanish left to unite for change after victories for citizen platforms (From The Guardian - Film News. 25 July 2015, 4:05 PM, PDT)
- Venice: Matias Bize’s ‘Water’ Picked Up by Global Screen (From Variety - Film News. 24 July 2015, 11:26 AM, PDT)
- Tavernier warns of EC's "carte blanche for Us cinema" (From ScreenDaily. 23 July 2015, 6:28 AM, PDT)