Although there’s no “Pardon Our Dust” sign adorning the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Wilshire Boulevard headquarters, even the casual observer will have noticed that the Academy has spent the past few years engaged in an extensive and seemingly endless home-improvement project.
And nowhere have Oscar’s renovations been more extensive than in the foreign-language film competition, where both the nominating and voting protocols have been extensively overhauled, with more changes possibly in the offing.
The latest and most significant foreign-language rule change, announced in spring and to be implemented this Oscar cycle, abolishes the longstanding requirement that Academy members have to see all five nominated films in a theatrical setting in order to cast ballots in that category. While that rule theoretically created a level playing field among the nominees (which might include a box office behemoth like “Amelie” alongside the relatively unknown Bosnian import “No »
- Scott Foundas
Similar News ItemsJavier Bardem
- Sony Hires Chris Boal To Pen ‘Zorro’ Reboot (From LatinoReview. 7 March 2014, 6:33 AM, PST)
- Inside Madonna's A-List Oscar Party (From PEOPLE.com. 4 March 2014, 6:15 AM, PST)
- DeGeneres' Star-Studded Selfie, Oscarcast Are Both Major Hits (From Alt Film Guide. 3 March 2014, 6:18 PM, PST)
- Tsr Blog: ‘Non-Stop’ and Why It’s Safe for Movie Planes to Crash Again (From Scorecard Review. 7 March 2014, 11:43 AM, PST)
- Who Needs an Oscar Nomination? Sony's 'The Lunch Box' Is Best of the Limiteds (From Thompson on Hollywood. 2 March 2014, 1:29 PM, PST)
- Best of Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Streaming: Airplane Movies (From Vulture. 28 February 2014, 1:45 PM, PST)
Sony Pictures Classics [us]
- Watch the New Trailer for Only Lovers Left Alive (From DailyDead. 7 March 2014, 2:14 PM, PST)
- Hiddleston Out for Blood in Another 'Only Lovers Left Alive' Us Trailer (From FirstShowing.net. 7 March 2014, 1:26 PM, PST)
- 'Only Lovers Left Alive' Trailer: Swinton and Hiddleston Are Vampires (From MovieWeb. 7 March 2014, 12:40 PM, PST)