Lightning struck the worldwide box office this weekend as Disney-Marvel’s first fall release, “Thor: The Dark World,” amassed a thunderous $180.1 million, of which an estimated $86.1 million came from domestic theaters.
With a global cume already at $327 million after last weekend’s whammo international debut, “Thor: The Dark World” is on track to eclipse its predecessor’s global total handily. The original grossed nearly $450 million worldwide during summer 2011.
“The Marvel guys have done something even within the last three years unrivaled in the industry, achieving the consistency of great films, as well as box office success,” said Disney distribution topper Dave Hollis.
“It’s a great blessing to have these characters and the Marvel brand as part of the Disney family,” he added.
“The Dark World” marks the first fall release for Marvel since having been acquired by Disney. The sequel also is the first Marvel property released by Disney without any outside studio participation. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Teen Titans Go! animated movie set for release in July 2018 (From Flickeringmyth. 26 September 2017, 1:29 AM, PDT)
- An Animated Teen Titans Go! Film Is Coming To Theaters In 2018 (From Fortress of Solitude - Movie News. 26 September 2017, 12:13 AM, PDT)
- ‘The Lego Ninjago Movie’ Tops Studios’ TV Ad Spending (From Variety - Film News. 25 September 2017, 9:16 PM, PDT)
The Avengers (2012)
- Watch the First 10 Minutes of Spider-Man: Homecoming (From MovieWeb. 25 September 2017, 12:22 PM, PDT)
- 20 Actors Whose Film Appearances Earned The Most Money (From TVovermind.com. 23 September 2017, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Justice League Won't Beat Batman v Superman Box Office Opening? (From MovieWeb. 22 September 2017, 3:18 PM, PDT)
- Matt Damon's Thor: Ragnarok Cameo Revealed? (From MovieWeb. 25 September 2017, 3:32 PM, PDT)
- Rumour: Matt Damon to cameo in Thor: Ragnarok (From Flickeringmyth. 25 September 2017, 2:45 PM, PDT)
- Bourne Star Matt Damon Rumored For Cameo Appearance In Thor: Ragnarok (From We Got This Covered. 25 September 2017, 2:39 PM, PDT)