Lightning struck the worldwide box office this weekend as Disney-Marvel’s first fall release, “Thor: The Dark World,” amassed a thunderous $180.1 million, of which an estimated $86.1 million came from domestic theaters.
With a global cume already at $327 million after last weekend’s whammo international debut, “Thor: The Dark World” is on track to eclipse its predecessor’s global total handily. The original grossed nearly $450 million worldwide during summer 2011.
“The Marvel guys have done something even within the last three years unrivaled in the industry, achieving the consistency of great films, as well as box office success,” said Disney distribution topper Dave Hollis.
“It’s a great blessing to have these characters and the Marvel brand as part of the Disney family,” he added.
“The Dark World” marks the first fall release for Marvel since having been acquired by Disney. The sequel also is the first Marvel property released by Disney without any outside studio participation. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Sherlock Holmes Creator’s Estate Sues Miramax Over Ian McKellan’s ‘Mr. Holmes’ (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2015, 2:54 PM, PDT)
- ‘Jurassic World’ Tracking Like ‘Man Of Steel’ – But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015? (From Deadline. 22 May 2015, 2:44 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: ‘Tomorrowland’ Heading for Narrow Memorial Day Weekend Win With $45 Mil (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2015, 2:05 PM, PDT)
The Avengers (2012)
- "Black Widow" and 'Chaos' (From SneakPeek. 22 May 2015, 4:11 AM, PDT)
- Did Avengers: Age of Ultron negate the one thing that makes Ant-Man special? (From Flickeringmyth. 21 May 2015, 11:15 PM, PDT)
- Simon Pegg has been told to make his Star Trek 3 script less Star Trek-y (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 21 May 2015, 2:52 PM, PDT)
- Hot Toys’ Avengers: Age of Ultron Iron Legion 1/6th scale collectible figure revealed (From Flickeringmyth. 22 May 2015, 9:48 AM, PDT)
- Hot Toys’ Avengers: Age of Ultron Cosbaby Series 2 unveiled (From Flickeringmyth. 22 May 2015, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- What it was like to be in the audience for David Letterman's last show (From The Guardian - TV News. 21 May 2015, 1:18 PM, PDT)