Lightning struck the worldwide box office this weekend as Disney-Marvel’s first fall release, “Thor: The Dark World,” amassed a thunderous $180.1 million, of which an estimated $86.1 million came from domestic theaters.
With a global cume already at $327 million after last weekend’s whammo international debut, “Thor: The Dark World” is on track to eclipse its predecessor’s global total handily. The original grossed nearly $450 million worldwide during summer 2011.
“The Marvel guys have done something even within the last three years unrivaled in the industry, achieving the consistency of great films, as well as box office success,” said Disney distribution topper Dave Hollis.
“It’s a great blessing to have these characters and the Marvel brand as part of the Disney family,” he added.
“The Dark World” marks the first fall release for Marvel since having been acquired by Disney. The sequel also is the first Marvel property released by Disney without any outside studio participation. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Gotham City Sirens: Is David Ayer Still On Board? A Cryptic Tweet Seems To Indicate So (From LRM Online. 27 July 2017, 1:35 PM, PDT)
- David Ayer suggests that he’s still attached to Gotham City Sirens (From Flickeringmyth. 27 July 2017, 1:30 PM, PDT)
- 'Purple Rain': THR's 1984 Review (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 27 July 2017, 1:24 PM, PDT)
The Avengers (2012)
- Superhero Bits: Justice League Sdcc Panel, Thanos’ Armor, Avengers Assemble New Season Title & More (From Slash Film. 26 July 2017, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- Who or What Are the Skrulls, the Villains in ‘Captain Marvel’? (From The Wrap. 24 July 2017, 3:50 PM, PDT)
- ‘Justice League’ Extensive Reshoots Causing Headaches for Star Schedules (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 24 July 2017, 9:44 AM, PDT)
- Does Thor: Ragnarok’s Post-Credits Scene(s) Feature The Guardians of the Galaxy? (From We Got This Covered. 27 July 2017, 8:34 AM, PDT)
- Joe Russo explains why Thanos isn’t wearing his armor in Avengers: Infinity War (From Flickeringmyth. 27 July 2017, 8:20 AM, PDT)
- James Gunn explains Groot’s appearance in Avengers: Infinity War (From Flickeringmyth. 26 July 2017, 4:08 PM, PDT)