Lightning struck the worldwide box office this weekend as Disney-Marvel’s first fall release, “Thor: The Dark World,” amassed a thunderous $180.1 million, of which an estimated $86.1 million came from domestic theaters.
With a global cume already at $327 million after last weekend’s whammo international debut, “Thor: The Dark World” is on track to eclipse its predecessor’s global total handily. The original grossed nearly $450 million worldwide during summer 2011.
“The Marvel guys have done something even within the last three years unrivaled in the industry, achieving the consistency of great films, as well as box office success,” said Disney distribution topper Dave Hollis.
“It’s a great blessing to have these characters and the Marvel brand as part of the Disney family,” he added.
“The Dark World” marks the first fall release for Marvel since having been acquired by Disney. The sequel also is the first Marvel property released by Disney without any outside studio participation. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- 37 Times You Could Not Handle Matt Bomer's Handsomeness (From Popsugar. 3 July 2015, 3:35 PM, PDT)
- Ben Affleck on his initial reaction to being offered Batman, and the difference between DC and Marvel movies (From Flickeringmyth. 3 July 2015, 1:26 PM, PDT)
- 'Justice League Part 1' Script Is Finished (From MovieWeb. 3 July 2015, 11:18 AM, PDT)
The Avengers (2012)
- 'Ant-Man' Trailer #3 Teases 'Avengers' and 'Iron Man' Connection (From MovieWeb. 3 July 2015, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- Watch a clip from Marvel’s Avengers Assemble season 2 episode 20 – ‘Terminal Velocity’ (From Flickeringmyth. 3 July 2015, 7:25 AM, PDT)
- Michael Keaton and J.K. Simmons depart Kong: Skull Island (From Flickeringmyth. 2 July 2015, 2:32 AM, PDT)
- The five most anticipated All New, All Different Marvel titles (From Flickeringmyth. 3 July 2015, 2:30 PM, PDT)
- Matt Damon Has a Ponytail Now, Looks Hotter Than Ever and the Internet Agrees (From Us Weekly. 3 July 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Early Ultron concept art for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron (From Flickeringmyth. 3 July 2015, 3:36 AM, PDT)