Lightning struck the worldwide box office this weekend as Disney-Marvel’s first fall release, “Thor: The Dark World,” amassed a thunderous $180.1 million, of which an estimated $86.1 million came from domestic theaters.
With a global cume already at $327 million after last weekend’s whammo international debut, “Thor: The Dark World” is on track to eclipse its predecessor’s global total handily. The original grossed nearly $450 million worldwide during summer 2011.
“The Marvel guys have done something even within the last three years unrivaled in the industry, achieving the consistency of great films, as well as box office success,” said Disney distribution topper Dave Hollis.
“It’s a great blessing to have these characters and the Marvel brand as part of the Disney family,” he added.
“The Dark World” marks the first fall release for Marvel since having been acquired by Disney. The sequel also is the first Marvel property released by Disney without any outside studio participation. »
- Andrew Stewart
Similar News ItemsThe Avengers (2012)
- New Character Posters For ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ (From The Hollywood News. 10 March 2014, 3:00 PM, PDT)
- Eight Stunning Captain America: The Winter Soldier Concept Art Images Released (From ComicBookMovie. 10 March 2014, 12:06 PM, PDT)
- 'Reassemble' promo for Captain America: The Winter Soldier (From Flickeringmyth. 10 March 2014, 9:22 AM, PDT)
- Lady Sif Teams Up with the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to Take Down Lorelei (From TVGuide - Breaking News. 10 March 2014, 4:01 PM, PDT)
- Marc Webb offers reassurances over the number of villains in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (From Flickeringmyth. 10 March 2014, 2:45 PM, PDT)
- Catch Mark Gatiss in Coriolanus at Your Cinema! (From Kasterborous. 10 March 2014, 12:55 PM, PDT)
- Chris Hemsworth says "everything is ramped up" in The Avengers: Age of Ultron (From Flickeringmyth. 10 March 2014, 3:34 PM, PDT)
- Chris Hemsworth Says ‘The Avengers: Age of Ultron’ is Bigger in Every Way (From Screen Rant. 10 March 2014, 2:33 PM, PDT)
- Chris Hemsworth Surfs in Clingy Wetsuit, Elsa Pataky (and Her Baby Bump) Hit the Beach—See the Pics! (From E! Online. 10 March 2014, 12:39 PM, PDT)