Lilo & Stitch is, in effect, this generation’s Dumbo.
Having lost money on previous films The Emperor’S New Groove and Atlantis: The Lost Empire, CEO Michael Eisner decided their next film would have a much smaller scale, a move inspired by the little pachyderm, and it worked.
Lilo & Stitch was in fact the first animated feature to use watercolour-painted backgrounds since Dumbo and hand-drawn (if computer-coloured) cells. A conscious effort was made to give it a warmer,old-fashioned look, dispensing with the “Deep Canvas” technique used in Tarzan, Atlantis and it’s immediate followup Treasure Planet, and having a minimum number of shots using either a “multiplane” or “3D camera” effect. This decision required a lot of background artists to be trained in the technique.
The lead character, Stitch, had been created some fifteen years earlier by head storyboard artist Chris Sanders »
- Rob Burch
Similar News ItemsDakota Fanning
- Verbinski, Barron, von Trotta backed by German funds (From ScreenDaily. 24 July 2015, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Richard Armitage And Carrie-Anne Moss Join Brain On Fire (From EmpireOnline. 16 July 2015, 5:37 PM, PDT)
- Hillary Clinton Hauls In Over $47 Million With Big Hollywood Backing (From The Wrap. 16 July 2015, 8:24 AM, PDT)
Disney Channel [us]
- Children's TV pretends disability doesn't exist (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 July 2015, 3:50 AM, PDT)
- 'High School Musical' Stars Ashley Tisdale, Corbin Bleu and More Reunite at 'Descendants' Premiere (From TooFab. 27 July 2015, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- This High School Musical Reunion Will Make You Want to Break Out in Song (From BuzzSugar. 27 July 2015, 8:45 AM, PDT)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
- Fantasia 2015 Review: She Who Must Burn Scorches The Hubris of Human Behavior (From Twitch. 27 July 2015, 2:00 PM, PDT)
- Mister Fincher and Monsieur Dreyer (From MUBI. 27 July 2015, 4:44 AM, PDT)
- The Actors Who Could Have Starred In Films, But Didn’t (From Flickeringmyth. 26 July 2015, 3:36 AM, PDT)