From the time the first movie studios were founded, Wall Street has viewed the entertainment business somewhat like the Tea Party views Washington: Spending is too high, ambitions are too grandiose.
That’s why investors see the continuing wave of executive changes in Hollywood as propitious, while Hollywood sees corporate turbulence as disruptive and counterproductive.
The body count lately has been especially high among production and marketing chiefs: Adam Fogelson and James Schamus at Universal, Marc Weinstock at Sony, Jeff Robinov at Warners, Tom Rothman at Fox, Terry Curtin at Relativity, Oren Aviv and Tony Sella at Fox, Eric Kessler at HBO, among others. The TV seas, too, have been stormy.
Here’s the anomaly: All of these executives arguably were doing a damn good job. Fogelson’s most recent slate at Universal was successful. Schamus was a defining force at Focus in the culture and commerce of cinema. Further, »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Proof That Jurassic World 2 Director Is Doing Man of Steel 2? (From MovieWeb. 24 May 2017, 5:54 PM, PDT)
- Kong: Skull Island Blu-Ray Trailer and DVD Details Unveiled (From MovieWeb. 24 May 2017, 5:13 PM, PDT)
- Surprisingly Good Kong: Skull Island Journeys Home July 18 (From Comicmix. 24 May 2017, 4:52 PM, PDT)
- Former News Corp. Exec David Haslingden Sells Business to Blue Ant (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Upfronts 2017: Grading the Networks’ Presentations (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Roger Ailes Leaves Long Shadow at Fox With Complicated Legacy (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)
Home Box Office (HBO) [us]
- Jon Stewart and HBO Made The Right Call to Kill Their Animated Cable News Parody, and Here’s Why (From Indiewire. 23 May 2017, 11:58 PM, PDT)
- Jon Stewart and HBO Made The Right Call to Kill Their Animated Cable News Parody, and Here’s Why (From Indiewire Television. 23 May 2017, 11:58 PM, PDT)
- HBO look to the future of Game of Thrones with four new projects (From HeyUGuys. 5 May 2017, 10:06 AM, PDT)