From the time the first movie studios were founded, Wall Street has viewed the entertainment business somewhat like the Tea Party views Washington: Spending is too high, ambitions are too grandiose.
That’s why investors see the continuing wave of executive changes in Hollywood as propitious, while Hollywood sees corporate turbulence as disruptive and counterproductive.
The body count lately has been especially high among production and marketing chiefs: Adam Fogelson and James Schamus at Universal, Marc Weinstock at Sony, Jeff Robinov at Warners, Tom Rothman at Fox, Terry Curtin at Relativity, Oren Aviv and Tony Sella at Fox, Eric Kessler at HBO, among others. The TV seas, too, have been stormy.
Here’s the anomaly: All of these executives arguably were doing a damn good job. Fogelson’s most recent slate at Universal was successful. Schamus was a defining force at Focus in the culture and commerce of cinema. Further, »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- See Bradley Cooper Play a Reluctant Hero in New 'American Sniper' Clip (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter. 19 December 2014, 8:28 PM, PST)
- 'Batman v Superman': Amy Adams Praises Gal Gadot (From MovieWeb. 19 December 2014, 6:12 PM, PST)
- Watch: First Trailer for Will Ferrell-Kevin Hart Comedy ‘Get Hard’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 December 2014, 4:39 PM, PST)
- ‘The Interview’ Intervention: Pulling Film Sends Wrong Message (Guest Blog) (From The Wrap. 19 December 2014, 3:09 PM, PST)
- 'Interstellar,' 'Boyhood' Producers on Getting Fired, Toughest Decisions and How to Give Rupert Murdoch Bad News (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 December 2014, 9:00 AM, PST)
- Michael Wolff: 8 Hollywood Predictions for 2015 (From The Hollywood Reporter. 18 December 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Leslie Moonves joins USC school board (From ScreenDaily. 17 December 2014, 2:04 PM, PST)
- Is the Clock Ticking on Amy Pascal? (From Variety - Film News. 16 December 2014, 10:45 AM, PST)
- Why The Muppet Christmas Carol's Deleted Song Was Cut, But Really Should Have Stayed (From Cinema Blend. 12 December 2014, 11:17 AM, PST)