From the time the first movie studios were founded, Wall Street has viewed the entertainment business somewhat like the Tea Party views Washington: Spending is too high, ambitions are too grandiose.
That’s why investors see the continuing wave of executive changes in Hollywood as propitious, while Hollywood sees corporate turbulence as disruptive and counterproductive.
The body count lately has been especially high among production and marketing chiefs: Adam Fogelson and James Schamus at Universal, Marc Weinstock at Sony, Jeff Robinov at Warners, Tom Rothman at Fox, Terry Curtin at Relativity, Oren Aviv and Tony Sella at Fox, Eric Kessler at HBO, among others. The TV seas, too, have been stormy.
Here’s the anomaly: All of these executives arguably were doing a damn good job. Fogelson’s most recent slate at Universal was successful. Schamus was a defining force at Focus in the culture and commerce of cinema. Further, »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Newswire: Sherlock Holmes 3 puts a whole writers’ room on the case (From The AV Club. 28 October 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Doug Liman says Dark Universe will “turn the comic book genre on its head” (From Flickeringmyth. 28 October 2016, 5:14 AM, PDT)
- Captain Marvel Scribe Nicole Perlman & Four More Join Writers Room For Sherlock Holmes 3 (From ComicBookMovie. 28 October 2016, 4:50 AM, PDT)
- Megyn Kelly Wants $20 Million for New Contract with Fox News (From PEOPLE.com. 27 October 2016, 12:31 PM, PDT)
- Fox News’ Megyn Kelly Back in Spotlight as Contract Talks Heat Up, Book Launch Looms (From Variety - TV News. 27 October 2016, 12:27 PM, PDT)
- Rupert Murdoch Hopes to Keep Megyn Kelly at Fox News as Contract Negotiations Loom (From The Hollywood Reporter. 26 October 2016, 7:46 PM, PDT)
Home Box Office (HBO) [us]
- Lena Dunham Wants to Show Trump the Patrick Wilson Episode of ‘Girls’ (From Variety - TV News. 27 October 2016, 7:47 PM, PDT)
- HBO Boss Casey Bloys on Post-at&T Outlook, What’s Next for ‘Westworld,’ ‘The Night Of’ (From Variety - TV News. 27 October 2016, 7:14 PM, PDT)
- HBO CEO: ‘Vice News Tonight’ Has ‘Hundreds of Thousands’ of Viewers (From Variety - TV News. 25 October 2016, 8:53 AM, PDT)