From the time the first movie studios were founded, Wall Street has viewed the entertainment business somewhat like the Tea Party views Washington: Spending is too high, ambitions are too grandiose.
That’s why investors see the continuing wave of executive changes in Hollywood as propitious, while Hollywood sees corporate turbulence as disruptive and counterproductive.
The body count lately has been especially high among production and marketing chiefs: Adam Fogelson and James Schamus at Universal, Marc Weinstock at Sony, Jeff Robinov at Warners, Tom Rothman at Fox, Terry Curtin at Relativity, Oren Aviv and Tony Sella at Fox, Eric Kessler at HBO, among others. The TV seas, too, have been stormy.
Here’s the anomaly: All of these executives arguably were doing a damn good job. Fogelson’s most recent slate at Universal was successful. Schamus was a defining force at Focus in the culture and commerce of cinema. Further, »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- #SDCC14: On Day 3 (July 26) Vamp Out with True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, Salem, Ahs: Coven, Constantine, Grimm, Sin City, Lovecraft, Twin Peaks, and More! (From Dread Central. 12 July 2014, 5:59 PM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2014 Schedule for Saturday, July 26th Includes Mad Max, The Hobbit and Marvel Studios Presentations (From Collider.com. 12 July 2014, 4:19 PM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2014: Thursday and Friday Schedules Include ‘Game of Thrones’ & More (From Screen Rant. 12 July 2014, 2:25 PM, PDT)
- Sun Valley: 5 Possible Deals Likely to Be Discussed (From The Hollywood Reporter. 7 July 2014, 12:46 PM, PDT)
- Spain’s Telefonica Takes Stake in Berlusconi’s Mediaset Premium Italian Pay-tv (From Variety - TV News. 7 July 2014, 1:12 AM, PDT)
- Analyst Upgrades ITV Stock, Cites 'Compelling Value' (From The Hollywood Reporter. 4 July 2014, 3:48 AM, PDT)
- Bonnie Arnold interview: Dragon 2, Dances With Wolves, DreamWorks (From Den of Geek. 8 July 2014, 8:46 AM, PDT)
- Sun Valley: Cable Consolidation, Murdoch and Digital Disruption Among Big Themes (From Variety - TV News. 7 July 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- Sun Valley: Cable Consolidation, Murdoch and Digital Disruption Among Big Themes (From Variety - Film News. 7 July 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)