From the time the first movie studios were founded, Wall Street has viewed the entertainment business somewhat like the Tea Party views Washington: Spending is too high, ambitions are too grandiose.
That’s why investors see the continuing wave of executive changes in Hollywood as propitious, while Hollywood sees corporate turbulence as disruptive and counterproductive.
The body count lately has been especially high among production and marketing chiefs: Adam Fogelson and James Schamus at Universal, Marc Weinstock at Sony, Jeff Robinov at Warners, Tom Rothman at Fox, Terry Curtin at Relativity, Oren Aviv and Tony Sella at Fox, Eric Kessler at HBO, among others. The TV seas, too, have been stormy.
Here’s the anomaly: All of these executives arguably were doing a damn good job. Fogelson’s most recent slate at Universal was successful. Schamus was a defining force at Focus in the culture and commerce of cinema. Further, »
- Peter Bart
Similar News ItemsWarner Bros. [us]
- Ron Howard Directing Thriller ‘The Girl Before’ for Universal (From Variety - Film News. 27 November 2015, 3:13 PM, PST)
- Batman v Superman sneak peek coming during Monday’s Gotham (From Flickeringmyth. 27 November 2015, 12:17 PM, PST)
- New Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Footage To Arrive With Next Week’s Gotham (From We Got This Covered. 27 November 2015, 12:13 PM, PST)
- Tribune, La Times Near Sale, Says Rupert Murdoch (From The Wrap. 27 November 2015, 6:24 PM, PST)
- ‘Gods of Egypt’ Director, Studio Apologize for Lack of Diverse Casting: ‘We Can Do Better’ (From Variety - Film News. 27 November 2015, 12:05 PM, PST)
- 'Bones' Producer Sues Fox for "Accounting Chicanery," Claims Top Execs "Threatened" Him (From The Hollywood Reporter. 25 November 2015, 12:41 AM, PST)
Home Box Office (HBO) [us]
- Superhero TV Thrives After Warner Bros. Loosens Film’s Grip on DC Entertainment (From Variety - TV News. 24 November 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- France Leads International Emmy Awards as Winners Honor ‘Victims of Despair and Hate’ (From Variety - TV News. 23 November 2015, 5:48 PM, PST)
- Nicole Bernard, Charlie Corwin, Armando Nunez Among 10 New Natpe Board Members (From Variety - TV News. 23 November 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)