There's a myopia to "Diana," the new film about the divorce and last great romance of Princess Diana's life, that fits its subject like one of Diana's signature, custom-tailored gowns.
Isolated, focused on her image, her few contacts with the outside world and her work, when this lonely and lovelorn woman (Naomi Watts) zeroes in on something or someone, it seems obsessive, smothering and all-consuming.
And dismiss it as worthy of a Lifetime Original Movie if you want, but this film from the director of the Fuhrer bunker drama "Downfall" gives us insights into this poor little royal plaything that Americans, at least, will find eye-opening.
Based on "Diana, Her Last Love," by Kate Snell, Oliver Hirschbiegel's film depicts a manipulator practicing her most withering lines about her failed marriage to Prince Charles in front of a vanity mirror.
"There were three of us in this marriage," she famously told her TV interrogator. »
Similar News ItemsNaomi Watts
- Claire McCarthy to direct Naomie Harris in The Personal History of Rachel DuPree (From IF.com.au. 25 May 2016, 6:46 PM, PDT)
- Dominic Bogart Storming ‘The Glass Castle’; Gregg Sulkin Joins Magical App Pic; ‘Battle Of The Sexes’ Courts James Mackay (From Deadline. 25 May 2016, 4:11 PM, PDT)
- Covert Media, Todd Garner strike pact (From ScreenDaily. 25 May 2016, 12:38 PM, PDT)
- You'll Love the Royal Family's Sweet Quotes About Princess Charlotte (From Popsugar. 26 May 2016, 2:15 PM, PDT)
- Burt Kwouk, Who Played Cato in ‘Pink Panther’ Movies, Dies at 85 (From Variety - Film News. 24 May 2016, 8:03 AM, PDT)
- Burt Kwouk, Pink Panther and James Bond Star, Dies at 85 (From PEOPLE.com. 24 May 2016, 7:55 AM, PDT)
- Fit for a Royal! See the Iconic Princess Diana Gown that Is Expected to Fetch $145,000 at Auction (From PEOPLE.com. 27 May 2016, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- See Royal Designer Catherine Walker's Eye-Popping Runway on the Streets of London (From PEOPLE.com. 26 May 2016, 10:35 AM, PDT)
- Prince Harry Is 'Carrying Princess Diana's Torch' in Fight to End HIV (From PEOPLE.com. 26 May 2016, 7:35 AM, PDT)