Director: David France.
Running Time: 109 minutes.
Synopsis: In the face of minimal medical and government support, the activist group Act Up push for, against opposition from political, religious and corporate entities, greater action in the research to deal with the escalating AIDS epidemic.
Told primarily with the focus on activist Peter Staley, but obviously telling the story of the millions who were affected, How To Survive A Plague is a film not only about the AIDS epidemic that affected so many Americans in the 1980s and 90s but also a film about power. The power of suppression, the power of social activism and the power of change when a group of people band together under a common goal.
The directorial debut of David France, a wealth of camcorder footage taken from rallies, protests, meetings and interviews (spliced together with some original interviews and graphics) chart the rise of activist group »
- James Story
Similar News ItemsPeter Staley
- Meme: Angelina Jolie Hopes Drag Queens Copy Maleficent, Rihanna Calls Charlie Sheen An “Old Queen,” RuPaul Takes On “Tranny” Again (From The Backlot. 23 May 2014, 4:26 AM, PDT)
- How to Survive a Plague: the defiance of Aids activism on film (From The Guardian - Film News. 28 October 2013, 5:26 AM, PDT)
- Meme: Ezra Miller Was Gay Bashed, Jonathan Groff Headed To HBO, and Neil deGrasse Tyson Weighs In On Thor's Hammer (From The Backlot. 9 February 2013, 9:01 PM, PST)
Larry Kramer (I)
- "Grand Budapest," "Imitation Game," "True Detective' Win Big at 2015 Writers Guild Awards! (From Manny the Movie Guy. 16 February 2015, 12:42 PM, PST)
- ‘Grand Budapest Hotel,’ ‘True Detective’ Top WGA Awards (From Variety - TV News. 14 February 2015, 5:28 PM, PST)
- ‘Grand Budapest Hotel,’ ‘True Detective’ Top WGA Awards (From Variety - Film News. 14 February 2015, 5:28 PM, PST)
How to Survive a Plague (2012)
- Meet the 2015 Sundance Filmmakers #78: 'How To Change The World' Explores the Early Days Of Greenpeace (From Indiewire. 31 January 2015, 1:47 PM, PST)
- Sundance Reviews: Literary Lions, Troubled Teens, Lithuanian Lesbians (From The Wrap. 24 January 2015, 9:36 AM, PST)
- Make a Movie, Change the World: What It's Like to Work with Impact Partners (From Indiewire. 22 January 2015, 7:05 AM, PST)